----- Original Message -----
From: V S C
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 8:31 PM
Subject: [C-I] VSC Statement Against War & Terror

Vieques Support Campaign
http://palfrente.tripod.com
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                   NO TO RACISM & IMPERIALIST WAR!
           U.S. NAVY OUT OF VIEQUES & ALL OF PUERTO RICO!

               V.S.C. Statement Against War and Terror

The Vieques Support Campaign mourns the loss of life of every nationality as
a result of the tragic events on September 11, 2001. We send our deepest
condolences across the country and the world to those who have lost loved
ones or await word on their fate. Given the diversity of workers who toiled
at the targeted institutions, every single person throughout the world has
been affected.

We condemn the use of terror and urge the United States government not to
continue with further acts of war and bloodshed.

The VSC is an organization that has worked alongside the popular people's
struggle in Vieques, Puerto Rico, to end U.S. Navy military bombings that
have left the population riddled with cancer and plagued with numerous
health problems and irreversible environmental damage due to the use of live
ammunition and illegal chemical weapons. The use of live ammunition in April
of 1999 caused the "accidental" death of David Sanes.

The VSC urges all people of conscience to question why this tragic event has
happened. This question is one that the government and the media have yet to
acknowledge. Just as importantly, we call on all to stand up and stop the
cycle of war that the U.S. has pledged to continue.

Over the last 60 years alone, the United States government has found one
reason or another for military interventions and wars that have resulted in
the deaths and terrorizing of hundreds of thousands of people, almost
entirely in Third World countries. Pursuing its own political aims, the U.S.
government has sacrificed innumerable lives in Latin America, South Asia,
the Pacific, the Caribbean, Africa, and of course, the Middle East. The U.S.
has supported fascist military regimes, from Chile to Indonesia. It has
waged war in the Middle East to support its oil interests, demonizing a
whole race of people in the process. And now, the U.S. government has called
upon us to unite under a banner of hate.

In a country where Native peoples faced genocide and where Black Americans
have suffered under racist segregation and discrimination, reinforced by Jim
Crow laws - the basis for South Africa's apartheid -we must ask why these
events have occurred and be prepared for the answer. It is certainly not
difficult to understand that from a country plagued with police brutality
and racism that the U.S. government would carry out similar policies on a
global scale.

As a result of this history of racism, residents of the United States are
acting out of fear and targeting their Arab sisters and brothers. After the
bombing of the Federal building in Oklahoma City the media flooded the air
waves accusing bin Laden of being behind that attack, only to find out it
was Timothy McVeigh, a U.S.-born White Christian. Regardless of who is
responsible, anti-Arab attacks took place then and continue now and are
never justified.

There have already been fatalities as a result of anti-Arab violence - South
Asians, Native Americans, Puerto Ricans and other brown-skinned people -
have been attacked by angry individuals under the banner of patriotism.
There has been minimal official warning to practitioners of hate crimes to
stop the wave of hate crimes that have infested the country thus far. There
have already been reports of police questioning whether individuals were of
Arab descent and asking accusingly, at least one woman we know of, whether
her religious scripture was the Koran.

During World War II, there was the vicious roundup of Japanese Americans and
their placement in internment camps. Following this precedent, the INS is
staging roundups and has the authority to hold immigrants indefinitely.
People of diverse nationalities ranging from Mexican to Ethiopian have
already been arrested. This terrorizing of domestic populations must end.

Under the guise of security, civil liberties are under attack, and such a
dangerous assault on our freedom must be stopped. The Vieques Support
Campaign asks everyone to stand up to such an assault on civil rights and
liberties, to demand that the U.S. government stop its retaliatory war drive
and stop encouraging racist hate crimes against Arabs and all people of
color. We stand with the people of Vieques who do not support U.S./NATO
"military exercises" and especially oppose practice bombings for another
impending war. We call on communities across the globe to support these
demands.

Long Live International Solidarity!

Stand Up Against Racism!

Defend Arab and Muslim Peoples of the World!

U.S. NAVY/NATO out of Vieques!

Stop the U.S. War Drive!