It appears that the Pakistani dictatorship fears it's own people as much as it does
the United States.
mart

>From The News -International Edition
The largest English and Urdu Newspaper publication Group of Pakistan
September 22, 2001 Saturday Rajab 04,1422 A.H

http://www.jang-group.com/thenews/index.html

No plan to follow UAE in snapping Taliban ties: Pakistan
(Updated at 1405 PST)
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan said on Saturday it had no intention of following the lead of the
United Arab Emirates in snapping diplomatic ties with the Taliban regime in
Afghanistan.
Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman Riaz Mohammad Khan said maintaining diplomatic
relations with Kabul was a "geographical compulsion" based on humanitarian and
political considerations. "We do not want to close this link," Khan said.

"Even during the Soviet intervention, we maintained our embassy in Kabul. It's a kind
of geographical compulsion that we have to maintain our links with Afghanistan which
is a landlocked country."
He also described the Afghan embassy in Islamabad as a vital "window to the world"
through which the Taliban's communications with the international community were
maintained.