----- Original Message -----
From: john_peter maher
To: john_peter maher
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 4:55 PM
Subject: FWD INDEPENDENT View from China ON OUR MAPS NO ETS; OUR MAPS OUT OF DATE

"President Bush  asked the terrorists why they destroyed the World Trade
Centre. The terrorists replied: Sorry, there's no World Trade Centre on
these maps of ours. They must be out of date.' "

    The Independent (London) September 22, 2001, Saturday
    COMMENT/Letters

    LETTER: VIEW FROM CHINA

    Sir: Our leaders should be wary of making more enemies than they
can kill. I live in China, and have observed the reactions of many
ordinary Chinese people to the news that Jiang Zemin has offered support
to the anti-terrorist coalition. Most oppose him.
There are some feelings of sympathy for the Americans and others who died in
the catastrophe, but there are jokes about the attack

- "President Bush
asked the terrorists why they destroyed the World Trade Centre.

The terrorists replied: Sorry, there's no World Trade Centre on these
maps of ours. They must be out of date.' " (This is a reference to the
excuse the US government gave for the bombing of the Chinese
embassy in Belgrade.)

A minority are much more anti-American. "The United Nations should
 give bin Laden a medal!" said one Shanghai taxi driver. "Japan should
 be next on the list for bombing targets, with Britain next." The
 majority reaction is less extreme, but I do not know a single Chinese  person
who doesn't believe this is a much-needed lesson to America to stop interfering in
foreign countries.

Americans are kidding themselves that the deaths of 5,000 people
and  the destruction of two famous buildings is a big shock to everyone
in the world and that anyone who doesn't sympathise with them is callous
or stupid. The most intelligent and kind-hearted Chinese people I
know still feel that their government should not have offered support.
There are reports that certain American journalists have complained
 that China did not fly its national flag at half-mast. "Why the
****
 should we lower the red flag for them?" was a comment I heard from a
 normally sweet-tempered secretary.
China is having to play a balancing act between its own fear of
insurgents (it has had problems with Muslim and Tibetan guerrillas
and terrorists) and its dislike of international military adventurism,
which it has consistently opposed for the last 20 years.

This is not to say that China cannot be persuaded. Much of the
anti-American sentiment has been created by the state-run media,
which constantly depicts America as a bully, at least in international
affairs. If Western leaders remember to consult with the Chinese
government and maybe even act upon some of its suggestions, maybe
Beijing will take up more of a co-operative stance. But side-lining
China might well turn it against us. Let's not underestimate the
importance of this, in a country where, this month, a new law on
adult male conscription came into force.

    NICOLAS GROFFMAN
    Shanghai