By Sgt. 1st Class Kathleen Rhem, USA
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Sept. 11, 2001 -- "The Pentagon is functioning"
is the message Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld sent by holding a press
conference in the building's briefing room barely eight hours after
terrorists allegedly crashed a hijacked commercial jetliner into the
national military headquarters.

"It's an indication that the United States is functioning
in the face of this terrible act against our country,"
Rumsfeld said. "(The Pentagon) will be in business
tomorrow."

Accompanying Rumsfeld on the press conference podium were several other
senior federal officials including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
Army Gen. Henry Shelton, Rumsfeld, and U.S. Sens. John Warner of
Virginia and Carl Levin of Michigan.

The secretary told reporters it's not possible to have
solid casualty figures at this time and that the various Defense
Department components are working to account for their people. He said
there could be no survivors among the 64 passengers aboard the
commercial plane that crashed into the building.

"There is no question but that the attack . today was a vicious, a
well-coordinated, massive attack against the United States of America,"
Rumsfeld said. "What words the lawyers will use to characterize it is
for them (to decide)."

Shelton called the events of Sept. 11 "an outrageous act of barbaric
terrorism carried out by fanatics." He said this was a reminder of the
"tragic dangers" that military people face day in and day out. The
chairman refused to discuss what actions the United States would take in
retaliation.

"But make no mistake about it," he said, "your armed forces
are ready."

Levin, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee,
called terrorists "the common enemy of the civilized
world." "Our intense focus on recovering and helping the injured and
families of those killed is matched only by our determination to prevent
more attacks," he said.

"This is indeed the most tragic hour in America's history," said Warner,
former committee chairman and its ranking minority party member. "And
yet I think it can be our finest hour as our president and those with
him (including) the men and women of the armed forces stand ready not
only to defend this nation and our allies against further attack but to
take such actions as are directed in the future in retaliation for this
. series of terrorist attacks (that
are) unprecedented in world history."

Warner called upon the entire world to step up and help.
"We're in this together," he said. "The United States has
borne the brunt, but who can be next. Step forward and let
us hold accountable and punish those that have perpetrated
this event."

Asked by reporters about possible retaliation, Rumsfeld
called the question premature.

Family members may contact service representatives:

o Army: 1-800-984-8523 or 703-428-0002.

o Navy and Marine Corps: 1-877-663-6772

o Air Force: 1-800-253-9276.

Navy and Marine Corps personnel assigned to the Pentagon
are also asked to call 1-877-663-6772 for accountability purposes,
defense officials said.

200109115a.jpg Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld tells reporters that
"people who work in this building do so voluntarily, and they are brave
people." Rumsfeld held his press conference in the Pentagon at about
6:15 p.m., about eight hours after a suspected hijacked commercial
airliner smashed into the building Sept. 11, 2001. At the conference
podium were (from left) Army Secretary Thomas White, Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff Army Gen. Henry Shelton, Rumsfeld, U.S. Sen. John
Warner of Virginia and U.S. Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan. Levin is
chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee; Warner is ranking
minority party member of the committee. Photo by Jim Garamone.

200109115a_hr.jpg High-resolution image available.

20010911b.jpg Military medical personnel rush to the
Pentagon to aid victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, plane crash
that called for the help of rescue workers and firefighters throughout
the metropolitan area. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115c.jpg An evacuation helicopter ferries injured
victims to local medical facilities following the suspected terrorist
crash of a hijacked commercial airliner into the Pentagon, Sept. 11,
2001. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115d.jpg Rescue teams and fire departments aid
Pentagon workers Sept. 11, 2001, after the building was set ablaze by a
plane crash. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115e.jpg Smoke and debris from the Sept. 11, 2001,
plane crash at the Pentagon damaged several parts of the military
headquarters in Arlington, Va. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115f.jpg Local firefighters battle the blaze set by a plane crash
at the Pentagon Sept. 11, 2001. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115g.jpg A firefighter douses smoke billowing from
the windows of the Pentagon after a plane crash Sept. 11, 2001,. Photo
by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115h.jpg A soldier calls loved ones outside of the Pentagon Sept.
11, 2001, after a plane crashed into the west side of the building near
the heliport. Photo by Paul Disney, USA.

200109115i.jpg A plane crash set the Pentagon ablaze Sept.
11, 2001, less than an hour after suspected terrorists
crashed two airliners into the World Trade Center in New
York and destroyed the twin 110-story buildings. Photo by
Paul Disney, USA.

200109115j.jpg Local firefighters helped douse the blaze
set by a plane crash at the Pentagon Sept. 11, 2001. Photo
by Paul Disney, USA.

NOTE:  This is a plain text version of a web page.  If your e-mail
program did not properly format this information, you may view the story
at http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2001/n09112001_200109115.html
Any photos, graphics or other imagery included in the article may also
be viewed at this web page.

Visit the American Forces Information Service web
special report on "Ballistic Missile Defense" at
http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/missiledefense/ for an in-depth look
at the topic of missile defense.