I find it to be an eerie coincidence that on the same
day that the US cloned their first human embryo they
also sent ground troops into Afghanistan. On the one hand,
we believe that we are so technologically advanced, to
be able to clone an embryo, yet at the same time, we are
doing absolutely barbaric things in Afghanistan.

There are many reasons for ethical concerns over cloning,
eg. the creation of living beings for stem cell research, or
for spare parts for other humans.

Considering the fact that our leaders can
put technology to such evil uses, such as high-tech
missiles that kill innocnet people, I don't know
how we can trust them with the technology of human
cloning either.

Only when our morals and ethics advance with
our technology can we really advance as a society.

Cloning of human embryos sparks fierce debate

27.11.2001
By MARTIN JOHNSTON and AGENCIES

The cloning of a microscopic human embryo by an
American company has raised hopes for a new source of
special cells to treat many diseases.

The announcement by Massachusetts-based Advanced
Cell Technology (ACT) is the first time anyone has reported
successfully cloning a human embryo.

It has prompted fierce debate worldwide on the ethics of
human cloning.

Opponents warn that the experiments might lead to cloned
babies, but the company says it does not want to do this.

"Our intention ... is to make lifesaving therapies for a wide
range of human disease conditions, including diabetes,
strokes, cancer, Aids and ... Parkinson's and Alzheimer's
disease," said Dr Robert Lanza, a scientific leader for ACT.

The company wanted to obtain embryonic stem cells, the
"master cells" thought to have the potential to develop into
virtually every other type of cell in the body.

It is hoped they could be used to treat many degenerative
diseases.

In an on-line journal, Scientific American, Dr Lanza and
colleagues said their most promising result was
developing an embryo to the point where it contained six
cells before it stopped growing.

To do this, they sucked the genetic material from the centre
of a mature egg using an extremely fine needle, injecting in
its place a "cumulus" cell which normally nurtures a
developing egg. They also experimented with injecting adult
skin cells.

In a separate experiment, the researchers induced
immature eggs to reprogramme themselves to develop into
early embryos.

Neither experiment produced the coveted stem cells.

These cells can come from adults, but the most flexible
source so far seems to be very early embryos left over from
attempts to make test-tube babies.

New Zealand fertility and genetic experts said yesterday that
they were unaware of anyone here experimenting with
therapeutic human cloning or harvesting stem cells from
"spare" embryos.

Two private members' bills before Parliament's health
select committee would ban human cloning and place new
controls on fertility treatment.

Officials are drafting the Government's amendments to the
bills, and Prime Minister Helen Clark hopes they will go to
the cabinet within months. A spokesman said the
Government was concerned about human cloning.

Diabetes Youth New Zealand vice-president Crystal Bridger
said the diabetes community would like to see research
such as therapeutic cloning encouraged.

But curing child-onset diabetes by injecting replacement,
insulin-producing islet cells developed from stem cells was
well in the future. Problems, like how to prevent the immune
system from destroying the new cells, needed to be solved
first.

Greens co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons said the therapeutic
cloning of human embryos raised serious problems. "If it is
allowed, there will be people who will grow those embryos
on to full term.

"The Greens are totally opposed to using cloning for
making carbon copies of individual human beings," said
Ms Fitzsimons.

But the party had not finalised its policy on the extent to
which stem cell research should be permitted.

The US Congress has moved to outlaw all human cloning.
A proposed law is under consideration by the Senate.

The White House yesterday reiterated President George W.
Bush's opposition to human cloning.