     Copyright © 2001 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com

  Tim Weiner New York Times Service
   Tuesday, December 4, 2001

   Local Leaders Ask for End to Raids   and Tell Foreign Fighters to Leave

(extract)

     In a signed declaration addressed to the world, the elders of this
region said: "To those foreigners living in the mountains of Afghanistan,
we say to you: Leave our country.
     Because of you, our innocent countrymen are suffering. Our demand to
the United States government and its coalition: Stop the bombing in the
name of humanity.

     "Please stop bombing our innocent people. We say to all civilized
nations that this bombardment is cruelty."

     One of the elders, Mohammed Hazrat Faqirbad, said: "War is disaster.
War is evil.  Because war is unholy. There is no holy war. It makes our
women widows and  beggars. No more."

     The villagers of Kama Ado, about 55 kilometers (35 miles) south of
here, said they had identified and buried 155 of their dead. Eastern Shura
officials said that at least 58 people had died in three other nearby
villages. The officials and villagers said that the death toll would climb
and that the dead were Afghan civilians, not Qaida fighters.

     The Pentagon has not acknowledged that any villages were struck,
saying it bombed only Qaida military targets between Friday night and early
Monday morning. The villages lie within 15 kilometers of the cave complexes
of Tora Bora in southern Nangarhar Province.

                Copyright © 2001 The International Herald Tribune