The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://cbc.ca/news

OTTAWA OFFERS 'DIGNITY' TO EXECUTED SOLDIERS
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/view?/news/2001/12/11/soldiers_execute011211
WebPosted Tue Dec 11 19:30:04 2001

OTTAWA--The Canadian government says it is sorry that 23 young men
who volunteered to fight in the First World War were executed for
cowardice or desertion, but it won't grant them pardons.

  Minister of Veterans Affairs Ronald Duhamel told the House of
Commons on Tuesday that 23 soldiers in the Canadian Expeditionary Force
were "lawfully executed."  But he said they were likely victims more
than cowards.  "For some, it may have been what we today call
post-traumatic stress disorder," he said.

  Duhamel said the government wanted to recognize them as young men
who had volunteered to take their place among the nearly 650,000
Canadians who fought in the war.

  More than one in 10 of those Canadians who went to the fields of
France are buried there. Among them, the 23 executed.

  "I wish to express my deep sorrow at their loss of life, not because
of what they did or didn't do, but because they too lie in foreign
fields where poppies blow amid the crosses, row on row," Duhamel said,
alluding to John McRae's powerful poem "In Flanders Fields."

  Reading out their names in Parliament, and promising to add them to
the First World War Book of Remembrance was intended to give the
soldiers dignity, and closure to their families.

  But some families were hoping Canada would follow New Zealand's
lead, and pardon the soldiers.

  A spokesperson for Duhamel's office said it couldn't be done, there
just isn't enough information available.

or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com