Differences remain between Russia and US

http://www.russiajournal.com/news/rj_news.shtml?nd=1521

MOSCOW - The United States no longer views Russia as an enemy, but the
two nations still differ on U.S. missile defense plans and NATO's
expansion, Russia's defense minister said in an interview released
Monday.

"I wouldn't say that Russia and the United States are the closest allies
in the military sense," Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov told the Interfax
news agency. "Certainly not."

Russia's relations with the United States and other Western countries
have dramatically improved thanks to President Vladimir Putin's support
for the U.S.-led war on terror. Ivanov said the United States had
stopped considering Russia as enemy "not just in words, but in deeds."

"I don't think that the United States would have agreed to radical cuts
of strategic armaments if it had suspected us of being an enemy or
becoming such in the future," Ivanov said.

U.S. President George W. Bush said last month that the United States
would reduce its nuclear forces to 1,700-2,200 warheads, and Putin
promised to cut Russia's arsenals to as low as 1,500 warheads. Each
nation is now allowed to have 6,000 nuclear warheads under the START I
Treaty.

While pledges of nuclear cutbacks reflect the improved bilateral ties,
Russia still considers the U.S. decision to withdraw from the 1972
Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty a "serious mistake with very grave
negative consequences," Ivanov said, adding that "each of us keeps to
his opinion on the issue."

Speaking Monday in a live question-and-answer session on national
television, Putin reaffirmed that the U.S. withdrawal from the ABM
treaty was a mistake but not a threat to Russia and voiced confidence it
wouldn't spoil relations.

Ivanov referred to Russia's concerns about NATO's eastward expansion as
another divisive issue. "If the military infrastructure of some
organization comes close to our borders, we will have to take that into
account in our military planning," he said. "Any other approach would be
irresponsible."

Putin has urged NATO to give Russia a say in its decision-making, saying
that would ease Russia's concern about the alliance's eastward
expansion. NATO and Russia are to work out a new cooperation framework
early next year.

Describing the state of Russian armed forces, Ivanov said that the
strategic nuclear forces were in good shape, but the military's
conventional weapons were becoming increasingly obsolete.

"The strategic nuclear forces' weapons are reliable and can serve for
many years," he said. As for tanks, armored personnel carriers and
aircraft, they "need to be modernized or simply replaced."

Ivanov said the government plans to have Russian arms exporters earmark
some of their hard currency earnings to help modernize the Russian
military's arsenals.

"Otherwise, it is an ironic situation: We sell state-of-the-art weapons
abroad, while the Russian army doesn't get anything," he said.
http://www.russiajournal.com/news/rj_news.shtml?nd=1521