AFP. 27 December 2001. Serbian president serene despite war crimes
allegations.

BELGRADE -- Serbian President Milan Milutinovic, indicted for war crimes
committed in Kosovo along with former president Slobodan Milosevic, said
in an interview Thursday that his "conscience is clear" about the UN
tribunal's allegations.

"I could not and I still can not guess why I am on the list" of five
Serbian officials, indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for
the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for war crimes committed during the 1998-99
Kosovo war, Milutinovic told Blic News weekly.

Milutinovic said his "conscience is clear," adding that he had been put
on the ICTY list "probably because of a distorted image of the Serbian
president's post."

Under the Serbian constitution, changed in 1989 when Milosevic came to
power, the president of the dominant Yugoslav republic has wide
authority.

Milutinovic, a close ally of Milosevic at the time, was elected Serbian
president in 1997, after Milosevic ended terms in that office and was
legally denied another mandate.
Milosevic was handed over to the ICTY on June 28 and is facing genocide
charges for his role in Bosnia's war, as well as charges of crimes
against humanity allegedly committed in Kosovo and Croatia.

During the Kosovo war, Milutinovic said he had been "engaged with all
capacities in the process of negotiations with US mediators focused on
finding a political solution for the self-rule" of the province.

"I had absolutely no authority, either by the constitution, or really,
on the army or the police," Milutinovic said, noting that the police
were under the responsibility of the Serbian government and interior
ministry.

Along with Milosevic and Milutinovic, former Serbian interior minister
Vlajko Stojiljkovic, former Yugoslav deputy prime minister Nikola
Sainovic and former army chief General Dragoljub Ojdanic are also
indicted by the ICTY.

Milutinovic, the only former member of Milosevic's government still in
power in Yugoslavia, said no one from the ICTY had tried to contact him.

Last week, Belgrade's daily Nacional reported that war crimes
investigators had offered to reduce the charges against Milutinovic if
he agreed to testify against Milosevic.

"Milutinovic has always said that he had no influence over state policy
and that he never took major decisions," the newspaper said.

And Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic, when asked what would happen
to Milutinovic once his presidential mandate expires in 2002, said he
would be "an ordinary citizen indicted by The Hague tribunal."

However, he added, there was a possibility that Milutinovic "works out
to be withdrawn from the list of indicted if he cooperates with the
tribunal."

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews