Friday, January 04, 2002 8:50 PM

U.S. Serviceman Killed, CIA Officer Injured in Afghanistan

Xinhuanet 2002-01-05 04:35:18

   WASHINGTON, January 4 (Xinhuanet) -- A member of the U.S. Army
special forces was killed and an officer of the Central
Intelligence Agency (CIA) injured by hostile fire in eastern
Afghanistan on Friday.
   "We had a special forces member killed earlier today by small
arms fire," Tommy Franks, commander of the U.S. Central Command,
announced at a press conference in Tampa, Florida.
   The trooper, whose name is yet to be disclosed, is the first U.
S. serviceman killed by enemy fire since the war began on October
7.
   Franks, who is in charge of U.S. military operations in
Afghanistan, said the trooper was killed near the town of Gardez
in eastern Afghanistan and the specifics of the incident have not
been fully developed.
   He said the trooper was part of a team to facilitate
cooperation between U.S. forces in the region and the local anti-
Taliban tribal forces.
   Meanwhile, U.S. intelligence sources disclosed on Friday that a
CIA officer working with the U.S. Army special forces in the
region was also injured in the incident. The U.S. team was
obviously ambushed, the sources said.
   The U.S. forces have been operating in the region to hunt al
Qaeda fighters, including al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
Enditem