At 6:24 PM -0500 1/4/02, Miroslav Antic wrote:
>HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK
>---------------------------
>
>MACEDONIA/GREECE - IT'S ALL IN THE NAME

>  Greece has
>waged a campaign in the international media against the use of the same
>name as its northern province by any foreign power.

That's true! Many Europeans were also quick to lecture Greece over
its reaction which has been restrained since the creation of this new
"Macedonia" from Tito. I wonder what would have happened if Scopje
had chosen to call itself not Macedonia but as Normandie or Westfalen
or Flanders or Apoulia, or Glouchester or New Jersey or Anatolia. If
using the name of a Greek province is fine with all the foreign
powers why not to give it  the name of a non Greek province just for
the hell of it?

>Suspicious that the new republic would impose territorial claims over
>Greek Macedonia, Athens refused to recognise it and imposed an economic
>blockade.

Suspicious? One must be a lame duck to such reporting. The
territorial claims it is not new, came out several times and the last
one was during WWII where Bulgaria and its sponsored "Macedonians"
occupied Greek territory as Axis allies. And by watching around all
the propaganda spread around by the so called "Macedonians" or
descendants of Alexander the Great as they present themselves who has
doubts about their agenda? And "Macedonians" are not alone into this
game but have been also joined by Albanians into this came.

I still remember a paid "Macedonian" ad that appeared in "Le Monde"
paper some 10 years ago claiming that "the only thing Greeks have
common with ancient Greeks is just the name of the country they live
in", not less.  What I have never understood so far is how can one be
descendent of a deceased person at a place he came as immigrant 1000
years later than the person in question and how can the script of
historical Macedonians be the same with that of Greeks as ruins can
attest and not Slav, cause Slavs had their own script devised in 11th
century by two Byzantine monks emissaries from Thessaloniki Cyrilos
(thus Cyrrilic) and Methodios.

>After seven years of UN-sponsored talks, the International
>Crisis Group has come up with a solution. Macedonia shall use the name
>"Republika Makedonija (Ma-ke-DO-niya)" and this will be used by all
>countries, except Greece, which can use a different name.

Which suggests rather the idea that Greece had to accept what others
had decided for her.

>In return, the Republika Makedonija would respect and honour the legacy
>of Greek culture within its borders.

By watching the Yugoslavian, the Kosovo reality, and the Albanians
this might be a hint for possible future evolutions;-)