Russian patriarch asks Russians to pray for the whole of mankind

MOSCOW. Jan 6 (Interfax) - On Christmas eve, Patriarch Alexy II of
Moscow and All Russia asked all Russian Orthodox believers to pray more
zealously for their Fatherland, for their neighbors and for the whole of
mankind.
   "We are still experiencing many difficulties and problems - poverty,
social vulnerability, the threat of terrorism and crime, the propaganda
of immorality, the epidemic of alcoholism and drug addiction, and other
appalling vices," the Russian patriarch wrote in his Christmas message.
"As the root of all of these evils is the injury of the human soul, it
is impossible to change society for the better without faith, hope and
love," Alexy II wrote.
   The Russian patriarch expressed serious concern about the current
international situation. "In our turbulent world, people are again
fighting against each other, and thousands of civilians in different
countries have fallen victim to the evil will. God also sent many trials
to Russia, which was befallen by floods, storms and droughts last year,"
he wrote.
   "But even in the worst of circumstances Christians must never forget
the Savior's words, 'Don't be afraid and keep believing,' addressed to
each of us," the Russian patriarch said.