TURKMENIA TURNS DOWN GERMAN REQUEST TO USE ITS AIR
SPACE

ASHKHABAD, January 7, 2002, /RIA Novosti correspondent
Victor Panov/ -- Turkmenia, which is a neutral
country, won't permit Germany to use its territory as
a base for German military aircraft, which support the
International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) in
Afghanistan. This was stated here today by President
Saparmurat Niyazov of Turkmenia during his
conversation with Germany's Ambassador Hans Mattern.

Niyazov explained his refusal by the fact that
Turkmenia's involvement in settling the Afghan
conflict was regulated by the positive-neutrality
statute, which had been delegated to him by the
international community. The positive-neutrality
statute doesn't allow my country to support any armed
forces in the region or elsewhere, Niyazov added.

My country is always open to humanitarian missions;
among other things, this is proved by the fact that
Turkmenia has provided air and ground corridors for
humanitarian relief aid being earmarked for
Afghanistan, Niyazov stressed.