"This is a very important part of the world with
extraordinary natural resources, including
particularly natural gas and oil," Lieberman said.

Praise For Uzbekistan

Uzbeks Allowed 1,000 American Troops To Be Stationed
In Country

"Our interest in this region post-Sept. 11 is going to
be permanent, and I believe constructive both to
economic development and the spread of democracy."
Sen. Joseph Lieberman,
D-Conn.

TASHKENT, Uzbekistan, Jan. 7, 2002

(AP) A delegation of U.S. senators on Sunday thanked
Uzbekistan's president for his support in the U.S.-led
war against terrorists, and said economic and
political contacts would likely increase between the
two nations.

"Our interest in this region post-Sept. 11 is going to
be permanent, and I believe constructive both to
economic development and the spread of democracy,"
Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn., said during a news
conference in the Uzbek capital, Tashkent.

Lieberman and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., were leading
a delegation of nine senators on a trip that also
includes stops in Turkey, Tajikistan, Afghanistan,
Pakistan, and Oman.

On Sunday, the senators met with Uzbek President Islam
Karimov, Defense Minister Kadyr Gulyamov and Acting
Foreign Minister Sadyk Safaev.

Lieberman called the meeting with Karimov
"productive," saying the senators thanked him for the
support his country lent the U.S.-led war on terror.
Uzbekistan, which shares a border with Afghanistan,
allowed more than 1,000 American troops to be
stationed within its territory.

But while Lieberman said the United States planned to
work with Uzbekistan to improve business relations and
attract foreign investment, he warned that "the state
of democracy and human rights matters to us, and
unless Uzbekistan continues to move in that direction
there will be limits on the support that we can give."

For years, Washington has been critical of Karimov's
government for its human rights record. Under Karimov,
who has ruled since the 1991 collapse of the Soviet
Union, Uzbekistan has ruthlessly suppressed dissent
and cracked down on Islamic militants.

Lieberman acknowledged that helping the region, in
particular the war-ravaged Afghanistan, will be
expensive, but he said the task is one the United
States can't afford to ignore.

Speaking to NBC's Meet the Press from Tashkent,
Lieberman said foreign aid to Afghanistan, likely to
run into billions of dollars, was necessary to ensure
that a terrorist state doesn't spring up again in the
region.

"This is a very important part of the world with
extraordinary natural resources, including
particularly gas and oil," Lieberman said.

Lieberman and McCain were accompanied by Sens. Jack
Reed, D-R.I., Susan M. Collins, R-Maine, Fred
Thompson, R-Tenn., John Edwards, D-N.C., Chuck Hagel,
R-Neb., Bill Nelson, D-Fla., and Jean Carnahan, D-Mo.