Reuters. 12 January 2002. No Decision on Military Strike on Iraq -U.S.
Envoy.

KUWAIT -- U.S. Assistant Secretary of State William Burns said on
Saturday the United States has yet to decide on whether to use military
force against Iraq and that Washington plans to discuss the issue with
its Gulf War allies.

"The (U.S.) President and Secretary (of State Colin) Powell made clear
there has not been any decision made with regard to particular options
but they have also made clear that all options are available," Burns
told a news conference in Kuwait at the start of a tour of the region.

"But we will consult really closely with our friends in Kuwait and other
countries of the region on this subject," he added.

Burns met Deputy Prime Minister Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah and other
senior Kuwaiti officials before heading to Bahrain, his next stop. He is
also expected to visit Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Oman, Saudi Arabia
and Yemen.

"We have, like Kuwait, some serious concerns about the behavior of the
(Iraqi) regime...its failure to abide by its U.N. Security Council
obligations with regard to weapons of mass destruction, inspectors and
missing Kuwaitis," Burns said.

The Arab League, of which Kuwait is a member, has declared its
opposition to any attack on Iraq.

Some 8,000 U.S. ground troops are now stationed in Kuwait, involved in
desert exercises.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews