Saturday January 12, 10:20 am Eastern Time
Argentine government calls IMF advice "offensive"
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina, Jan 12 (Reuters) -
Argentina's already icy relations with the IMF took a
turn for the worse on Saturday, with a top government
official calling the lender's advice ``offensive创 and
saying more time was needed to end a long recession.
Argentina's Vice Economy Minister, Jorge Todesca, said
the government did not appreciate comments on Friday
by the International Monetary Fund's first deputy
managing director, Anne Krueger, who asked Argentina
for a ``coherent创 plan.
``Just a few days after we came into government, Ms.
Krueger sent us a letter, which itself was quite
incoherent, bringing up a series of points. It was
unclear whether they were demands or not. I consider
it to be offensive for Argentina,创 Todesca told local
radio.
``They (the IMF) should really talk less, especially
if they have nothing interesting to say, and they
should let us work for a couple more days so we can
stabilize the economy,创 Todesca said. ``Then we will
have a plan to present to the Fund, so we can recover
international aid.创
In December the IMF froze $1.3 billion in desperately
needed aid to Argentina after a previous government
could not rein in budget overspending. Argentina is
mired in a four-year recession that has forced it to
devalue its peso currency and default on part of its
$141 billion debt.