From: Barry Stoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 10:14 PM
Subject: Riots in Argentina

AP (with additional material by Reuters). 15 January 2002. Angry Over
Financial Freeze, Argentine Rioters Attack Banks in Provinces.

BUENOS AIRES -- After President Eduardo Duhalde spoke with foreign
correspondents, riot police outside the pink government palace held back
2,000 unemployed marchers demanding work.

Several thousand jobless people blocked 11 highways around the country
while protesters in Santa Fe and Jujuy provinces smashed up bank and
foreign-owned utility offices.

Argentines angry over a banking freeze ransacked banks and torched ATMs
on Tuesday as President Eduardo Duhalde vowed to eventually relax curbs
that have brought the financial system to a standstill.

Rage over the 6-week-old restrictions shutting off Argentines' access to
their savings boiled over around the country, mixing with the rising
anger of unemployed workers who took to the streets demanding jobs.

In three cities in Argentina's interior, hundreds of Argentines stormed
banks, ripping out computers and smashing window fronts. Several
international banks, including Citibank and BankBoston, were among
branches that were targeted.

Thousands of unemployed Argentines living government subsidies of less
than $80 a month marched on the Labor Ministry, blocking traffic as men
on bullhorns shouted out demands for jobs. They later marched to the
president's offices, which was blocked by riot police and barricades.

"I want work, not a few pesos that I can't even support my family on,"
said Pedro Tabuada, 38, who lost his job as a steakhouse cook five
months ago. Unemployment is now a near-record 18.3 percent.

In the central province of Sante Fe, some 7,000 demonstrators took to
the streets of the city of Casilda on Tuesday, hurling eggs at banks.

Riot police responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.

A small core of violent protesters threw rocks at bank windows and
vandalized ATM machines.

Argentines also unleashed their anger at banks in the cities of La
Plata, where they set fire to ATM machines, and in Salvador de Jujuy,
where they ripped out computers, trashed offices and smashing windows in
three bank branches, including Citibank and BankBoston outlets.

"We want bread and jobs," said Luis, a laid-off municipal worker,
marching through Buenos Aires with 2,000 other protesters banging drums
and waving flags.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews