Tuesday, January 15, 2002

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST

KOREA
South's military seeking new fighter jets

ASSOCIATED PRESS in Seoul

Next Story

   Updated at 1.25pm:
South Korea's military will receive new price offers from US and other global aircraft makers next week for its multibillion dollar project to buy 40 new fighter jets by 2008, officials said on Tuesday.

The rebidding, set for next Tuesday, was called after the first price offers, made on Monday, failed to ''come within our target price,'' said Chae Woo-seok, deputy chief of the Defence Ministry's Defence Procurement Agency.

The budget earmarked for the project is estimated at 4 trillion won (about HK$23 billion).

Competing for the project are US company Boeing's F-15E, the Russian government's Sukhoi Su-35, French company Dassault's Rafale and the European consortium Eurofighter's Typhoon.

The Defence Ministry hopes to choose the successful bidder by the end of March.

The ministry has said that price and potential maintenance costs are the biggest selection criteria. Other factors include performance capabilities and the builder's transfer of technology to the South Korean military.

South Korea has bought most of its weapons from the United States. About 37,000 US troops are stationed in South Korea as a deterrent against communist North Korea.