From: Stasi
To: Anti-NATO
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 4:15 AM
Subject: Moldova: Scars that won't heal - Financial Times [WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK]

BACK PAGE - WEEKEND FT: Mariana and the scars that won't heal: Poverty has turned a once-thriving Soviet state into a leading source of prostitutes. Stefan Wagstyl reports on the growing traffic in young women
Financial Times; Jan 12, 2002
By STEFAN WAGSTYL

Mariana will always carry a reminder of the terrible months she endured as a sex slave - the deep blue lines on her pale forearms, where an unknown man sliced her repeatedly with a butcher's knife.
"It is impossible to forget the pain. Even now that I am safe, it is very hard to sleep at night," says the 24-year-old woman, sitting in a run-down cafe in the suburbs of Chisinau, capital of Moldova. As she speaks, her hands tremble and her eyes dart about nervously as if she is on the lookout for danger. The psychological damage is as palpable as her scars.
Mariana is one of hundreds, if not thousands, of young Moldovan women who are taken abroad each year, mainly to the former Yugoslavia, and put to work as prostitutes. She is one of a few who have managed to escape from the Balkans and return to their native land.
While poverty can drive women into prostitution the world over, Moldovans are especially vulnerable. Wedged between the Ukraine and Romania, theirs is the poorest country in Europe.
It was split in the early 1990s by a civil war that has left it divided between an official government in Chisinau in the west, and an unofficial administration in Tiraspol in the east. Corruption and organised crime are rampant. As well as young women, almost anything is for sale - guns, drugs, contract killings and even body parts.
When Mariana was growing up in Soviet times in a farming village in southern Moldova, nobody predicted this nightmare. With its fertile land, Moldova was famed in the Soviet bloc for its food and its wine. KGB officers retired to Moldova because life was so good. They and their wives liked to stroll around the elegant parks of central Chisinau, the greenest city in eastern Europe, according to its residents.
The fragmentation of the Soviet Union has since destroyed Moldova's stability, plunging people into deep poverty. Factories have closed. Farms and vineyards have been abandoned. At least 600,000 of Moldova's 4m population have gone abroad to work. In some districts as much as half the working-age population has moved away.
Mariana herself moved from her home village to Chisinau in the mid-1990s in search of work, which she eventually found in a textiles factory. She met a man, they married, and she became pregnant.
When her son was born, she was put on extended maternity leave, with payments of less than Dollars 30 a month. She barely had enough money to survive; her husband gave her nothing and then left her.
Desperate for money at the end of 2000, she answered a job advertisement in Makler, a newspaper. The advertisement promised, she says, good pay for work abroad. She telephoned the number in the advertisement, spoke to a woman, and arranged to meet.
"I'll never forget her. She had a scar across her face, like she had been cut with a knife. It should have been a warning to me. But I didn't guess what was happening," says Mariana.
The scar-faced woman promised her Dollars 300 a month for dancing in bars in Yugoslavia. "I said I couldn't dance. The woman said that didn't matter, I could learn."
Mariana did not think twice. She left her child with her parents and a few days later joined three other young women in a car travelling from Chisinau to the Romanian border. There she expected to a meet a Yugoslav, but instead was greeted by a surly Romanian. Mariana began to feel worried as they sped hundreds of kilometres by car, stopping only to fill up with fuel.
Finally, they halted in Turnu Severin, a handsome, if dilapidated, town on the Danube. Across the other side of the river lay Serbia. "Here, I finally guessed what was happening to me. I told the man I wanted to go back to Moldova. He said 'I've paid for you and I'm not releasing you'," says Mariana.
The journey's physical hardships were compounded by fear. The women were taken across Serbia, Montenegro, and United Nations-administered Kosovo to the Macedonian border where they were made to walk eight hours along mountain trails to avoid the guards.
About 10 days after leaving Chisinau, the women were installed in a flat in the Macedonian capital of Skopje and put to work by their pimps. Mariana was never entirely sure who these men were. Sometimes they were ordered around by ethnic Macedonians, sometimes by ethnic Albanians. But when Macedonian was spoken, she could understand it, as it is similar to Russian, which was taught throughout Moldova in Soviet times.
Occasionally, men who seemed like police would call at the flat, sometimes to talk with the pimps, sometimes for sex. Once the police raided the flat when she was out buying food. She says she was rushed away by her pimps and hidden in a cellar for two weeks.
Mariana says that at this time she refused sex work. Instead, she cooked and cleaned for the other women. But in early January she was sold to an ethnic Albanian gang in Tetovo, the western Macedonian city dominated by ethnic Albanians.
She was housed with other women in a dingy flat above a bar on the outskirts of the city.
Here, she finally stopped resisting and agreed to service clients herself. "It was terrible. I felt disgusted," she says.
But there was no going back. She was scared of the pimps and scared of going to the police. "If you spoke badly about your patron, you could be hurt or even killed."
To make life worse, the tensions which had long divided ethnic Macedonians and ethnic Albanians in Macedonia erupted into violence. In the early spring, ethnic Albanian guerrillas began fighting in and around Tetovo.
Macedonian police and troops hit back with clumsy attempts to kill or capture the fighters.
Mariana's most frightening moment was when a group of men burst into the flat. She was alone with one other Moldovan woman. The men were not in uniform, but she assumed they were ethnic Macedonian policemen from their manner and the official-sounding language they used.
"They wanted to know about our ethnic Albanian patrons. They were looking for the UCK (the ethnic Albanian liberation army). We said nothing.
"Suddenly, one of the men brought out a butcher's knife. It was so sharp it would cut you if you just touched the blade. He cut me on both arms. The blood went everywhere."
The men left as quickly as they had arrived, says Mariana. To prove her story, she pulls up her her sleeves and shows the blue scars that she says were made by the knife. There are four or five deep blue marks on both arms just above her wrists, which doctors say will never disappear.
Mariana and her friend wrapped cloths around the wounds and rested to get over the shock. But they had no time to recover. With the fighting continuing between the guerrillas and the Macedonian security forces, they were kept awake at night by the sounds of shelling. "We were in a war," says Mariana.
But still the girls had to keep working. Mariana says that, as well as ethnic Albanians and ethnic Macedonians, her clients included western European soldiers from the Nato-led forces stationed in Macedonia.
She then fell ill with a liver complaint, she says. When she recovered she refused to return to prostitution and worked instead in bars.
Her salvation came from an unexpected quarter. An ethnic Albanian man who lived in the neighbourhood took pity on her and another Moldovan woman called Zana. One day in the late spring, he offered to hide them in an empty flat, away from their pimps. Mariana says they suspected he would want sex. But he demanded nothing. "He was very kind."
Mariana says she and Zana lived in the flat for several months living on food supplied by their Good Samaritan. In the confusion of the fighting, their pimps did not find their hiding place. In summer, the fighting in Macedonian ended in an uneasy truce and the women's benefactor become increasingly worried they would be captured.
He went to Skopje to ask for support from the Romanian embassy, which looks after Moldovan interests in Macedonia. The ambassador agreed to help. On September 3, the women boarded a bus from Tetovo to Skopje.
Mariana says they were terrified they would be stopped by their pimps as they made the one-hour journey along the dual-carriageway between the two cities. But they reached the embassy, where the ambassador called a senior Macedonian police officer who organised an escort to the offices of Unicef, the United Nations children's organisation. A week later they were home in Moldova.
Mariana was overwhelmed to see her parents and her son again. She told her father and mother that she had been working abroad but not what she had been doing. She does not know whether they will guess the truth. She says she has learnt a lesson. "If anybody asks me, I will say, 'Never, never do what I did'."
The outline of Mariana's story is confirmed by La Strada, an international non-governmental organisation that rescues prostitutes and is now caring for Mariana in Chisinau.
Jana Costachi, director of the centre for the prevention of trafficking in women, another prostitution-linked NGO in Chisinau, says there is no way of knowing how many women work abroad as prostitutes - or how many are held against their will. "They are young and naive. It is hard to establish how much they know before they leave."
Vladimir Voronin, the Moldovan president, insists that the government is doing its best. "We are fighting against the mafia in all sorts of directions."
The state recently introduced a new law outlawing the recruitment of sex workers and clamping down on suspect travel agencies that handle tickets and documents for the young women.
But Moldovan government officials say there is little that can be done, unless there is concerted action against prostitution in the countries where the women work, including UN-administered Kosovo. With so many demands on their resources, the governments of the former Yugoslavia are doing little to help, say the officials in Chisinau.
The trade goes on with new women recruited daily. A recent edition of Makler advertised jobs for women in Austria. A telephone call quickly established that what was required were young women "who are at least 160 centimetres tall, no older than 24 and must look good . . . We are talking about intimate relations here," said the person who answered the telephone at the advertised number.
The police have had some notable successes. A few months ago, they raided the check-in desks at Chisinau airport and arrested a female Moldovan trafficker who was taking eight young women out of the country. The detective who led the raid said: "There was uproar. Four of the young women were upset because they wanted to leave the country and we had stopped them. The other four seemed relieved."
But the police unit handling prostitution also deals with organised crime and lacks the money to concentrate on stopping human traffic.
Its head, a hard-bitten police chief called Constantin Clipa, says that while his force does its best, there is nothing it can do about the root cause, which is "poverty and the lack of jobs in Moldova".