The media are one of the institutional props of the system, though that does
not preclude difficulties in their relationship with the rulers.
As is pointed out, they are not experts on foreign relations or the world at
large and they are institutionally inclined to simplicity and quick fixes.
That could create problems long-term, but at present they are playing a
useful role for the ruling class, esp. in the USA.

Steve K.