Well said Barry! Thanks for that post.
mart
----- Original Message -----
From: Barry Stoller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 10:06 PM
Subject: Re: Did the left lose the war?

 Andy Beckett, Guardian:

 Did the left lose the war?

 Kabul fell in five weeks. The Islamic world has not erupted. So did
 the left get it all wrong - and does it matter?

 Immediately before September 11, the outlook had seemed reasonably
favourable for the left... the swelling profile of anti-corporate
protests since Seattle, the polemics against international trade and
sweatshops selling well in high street book shops, the apparent revival
of militancy in some unions...

 Noam Chomsky, the dissident American academic who is probably the
biggest influence on modern anti-capitalists, writes gloomily: "It is
certainly a setback... Terrorist atrocities are a gift to the harshest
and most repressive elements on all sides...

 Tariq Ali... is writing a book exploring the similarities between Bush
and Bin Laden, and their ambitions to impose their aggressive,
religiously-based ideas on the rest of the world...

 The anti-globalisation movement, you could say, has spent the past
decade or so developing a sophisticated critique of modern business - an
economic policy, if you like - but it has neglected to draw up a foreign
policy, a coherent set of proposals for how countries should operate and
behave towards each other.

 The anti-globalisation movement has been forced to grow up in another
way, too. "Some people," says Wainwright, "used to think that if
religious fundamentalists are anti-capitalist, then we don't need to
challenge them."

All of the above reveals the bankruptcy of liberalism and anarchism,
especially if they're mixed together.

 It wasn't the 'left's' war. Who said bin Laden is the 'left' anyway?

 Of course, if he was, we can be sure good old Chomsky would be there to
demoralize everyone by pointing out the 'moral' divergence between
praxis and his utopian conceptions.

 Tariq Ali? When he compares bin Laden to Bush, we can be sure he'd say
 the same of Lenin. And plenty of 'left' publications would -- they
certainly did -- give lots of air time to that sort of stuff.

 Does the 'anti-globalization' movement have a 'foreign policy'? Yes.

 Mostly it's a repudiation of everything global in favor of regionalism
and localism, i.e. small time, early capitalism.

 Which brings me to the false claim that 'religious fundamentalists are
anti-capitalist.' They're not. Usually they are also in favor of
regionalism and localism, i.e. small time, early capitalism.

 The Soviets took on all of that crap, in Afghanistan to name but one
battleground. Where was Chomsky then? Where was the 'left' then? Where
were the anarchists then? Ah, hell, we know the answer, it's all
sickening.

 Lastly. Although it wasn't the 'left's' war, it wasn't 'lost.' Bin Laden
 won. He masterminded a great hit on the great symbols of US power and
got clean away with it.

 Barry Stoller
 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews