AFP. 19 January 2002. British MPs put pressure on US, govt over Cuba
prisoners.

LONDON -- British members of parliament Saturday called for a meeting
with the US ambassador and urged the government to make a clear
statement in response to growing concerns about the treatment of
al-Qaeda suspects, including three Britons, held at an US detention
centre in Cuba.

The cross-party Parliamentary Human Rights Committee said it was
lobbying for a meeting with US ambassador to London William Farish over
fears that the 110 detainees held at Camp X-Ray, Guantanamo Bay, are
being kept in inhumane conditions.

The makeshift outdoor facility houses single cells, each with a concrete
floor, wooden roof and chain-link walls.

The United States says the detainees are illegal combatants, not
prisoners of war, and thus do not have rights under the Geneva
Convention of 1949, which sets out the laws of war.

Ann Clwyd, chairperson for the committee and a member of the ruling
Labour party, said it was "playing with words" to suggest that the
detainees were not prisoners of war.

Clwyd said the purpose of meeting Farish was to "to voice concern about
the treatment of all the people taken prisoner in Afghanistan, not just
the ones being held in Cuba, and we want an acceptance that they are
prisoners of war."

She added that there was "substantial concern" among Labour members and
called for a government statement on the situation.

"It's time we had a clear statement on the position of the prisoners and
what the British role now is. We fought the war shoulder to shoulder,
now it seems that we are being frozen out of the aftermath.

"It's time we became much firmer with the Americans and insisted on the
human rights we are all signed up to."

The government has sent a team of officials to the camp to assess the
conditions of the British prisoners.

Newspaper reports here Saturday said that it had also sent intelligence
agents to interrogate the detainees, something the Foreign Office
refused to comment on.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews