http://www1.timesofindia.com/articleshow.asp?art_id=3625524

NATO chief plays down US N-review
AFP [ WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13, 2002  6:09:15 AM ]

ARIS: NATO Secretary General George Robertson on
Tuesday played down the significance of a leaked US
strategic plan which appeared to show it had lowered
its threshold for unleashing a nuclear strike.

"I don't think anybody said in the United States that
a specific policy has been adopted," he told a defence
seminar during a visit to Paris. "There will be no
change in that doctrine to my mind."

According to leaks to the US media, the Pentagon's
Nuclear Policy Review calls for a shift away from the
Cold War posture of using the US nuclear arsenal to
deter a nuclear strike from the former Soviet Union.

It sees China, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Russia
and Syria as potential targets for US nuclear strikes,
according to news reports.

US officials have denied the leak shows that they have
moved away from the principle of deterrence, and
Robertson dismissed the reports at a meeting of the
International National Institute of Strategic
Relations.

"Every March, there is a leak from the Pentagon," he
said. "That's the moment when the budgets are being
discussed. Coincidences are often remarkable and worth
taking notice of."

http://mail.yahoo.com/