AFP. 15 March 2002.  Milosevic cross examines Western diplomat for first
time.

THE HAGUE -- Slobodan Milosevic questioned former British opposition
party leader Paddy Ashdown on Friday, cross examining a Western diplomat
for the first time in his trial for war crimes.

Questioning one of his long-time accusers, Milosevic was sharp to react
when Ashdown told the court he had warned the former Yugoslav president
he would end up in the court one day over Belgrade's repression in
Kosovo.

"I warned you that if you took these steps and went on doing this you
would end up in this court and here you are!" said Ashdown, recalling a
conversation with Milosevic after visiting Kosovo in 1998 to investigate
claims by the ethnic Albanian community of repression at the hands of
Serb forces.

"Could the witness please answer my questions and not make speeches,"
Milosevic replied acidly.

The former Yugoslav leader questioned Ashdown about the 1999 NATO
campaign against Yugoslavia.

The relaxed and eloquent diplomat conceded nothing to the former
Yugoslav president.

Milosevic tried to make the point that Ashdown believed there would only
be peace in Yugoslavia if it was "subjugated" to the great powers, but
Ashdown dismissed it as a "laughable" notion.

During the three-hour cross-examination, Milosevic grilled Ashdown about
activities of the separatist Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA).

"I have never denied it was a terrorist organisation, I have never
denied there was KLA activity and innocent Serbs were suffering," said
Ashdown.

Ashdown's testimony wound up Friday and the court adjourned.

The trial chamber is on Monday to hear protected witnesses in a closed
session.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews