CNN. 17 March 2002. Camp X-Ray takes toll on some U.S. troops.

GUANTANAMO BAY -- At least two U.S. service members have been
transferred from the temporary facility for Afghan war detainees in Cuba
after psychologists recommended the move, military officials said.

It was not clear whether they were transferred to other parts of the
Guantanamo Bay naval base or off the island altogether.

"We've had a couple of [service members] who have just been assigned to
other jobs," said Brig. Gen. Michael Lehnert, commanding general of the
U.S. naval base.

"Not all people are built for that kind of job."

A base spokesman declined to specify how many of the 600 to 700 service
members deployed to Camp X-Ray have been transferred.

"Working on somebody who is an avowed enemy of the United States, who is
sworn to kill U.S. citizens -- that sets up a certain psychological
angst," Lehnert said.

"We want to get to them before it becomes a problem."

In general, detainees' behavior has been good, but some have resisted
medical treatment, thrown objects at service members and spat at guards,
officials said.

"If [the detainees] had an opportunity to get at me, they'd get at me,"
said Lt. Col. Bill Cline, deputy commander for security forces at Camp
X-Ray. "If they have the opportunity to get to my soldiers, they would."

The military provides a team of psychologists and chaplains to detainees
and troops at Camp X-Ray.

Boredom, religious beliefs and family issues contribute to psychological
stress for service members on duty at Camp X-Ray, members of the
psychological team said.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews