http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2002/03/18032002113703.asp

Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty
March 19, 2002

-After a meeting with Shevardnadze later in the day,
NATO Secretary General Lord George Robertson said NATO
has offered Georgia help in reforming its armed
forces.
-The NATO chief said Georgia is a "crucial" country in
the region and its territorial integrity is very
important to NATO.

Georgia: President Discusses Security With EU, NATO
Officials
Brussels, 18 March 2002 (RFE/RL) -- Georgian President
Eduard Shevardnadze today said that his government is
discussing with Russia and consulting with the U.S.
prospects for returning Chechen refugees to their
war-torn republic.

Shevardnadze spoke in Brussels after meeting EU
security policy coordinator Javier Solana. The
Georgian president said discussions touched on the
situation in Georgia's Pankisi Gorge, where the U.S.
has said that suspected Al-Qaeda fighters may have
found shelter.

"As concerns U.S. participation, then the United
States does not participate that actively in this
process," Shevardnadze said. "But with regard to
Russia, we have ongoing negotiations with the Russian
leadership, we have agreed with President [Vladimir]
Putin that we will set up a special committee -- or
committees -- which will help the [refugees] return to
their countries, and are responsible financially and
materially for creating the security conditions
necessary for this."

Shevardnadze said the refugees were mostly women,
children, and elderly men, although there were some
who "probably" had participated in battles against
Russian forces. He added that the refugees constitute
"no particular problem" for Georgia at this point and
that he is optimistic the situation will be resolved
peacefully.

After a meeting with Shevardnadze later in the day,
NATO Secretary General Lord George Robertson said NATO
has offered Georgia help in reforming its armed
forces.

Robertson said after talks in Brussels that the status
of the Caucasus country's military is especially
important due to the international fight against
terrorism.

"The best way for Georgia to deal with the problem of
terrorism is to have the capabilities, to have the
armed forces that will be able to tackle the problems
that affect the country from inside and outside,"
Robertson said.

The NATO chief said Georgia is a "crucial" country in
the region and its territorial integrity is very
important to NATO.

Shevardnadze said 200 U.S. military instructors due to
arrive shortly in Georgia will not participate in
military operations against suspected terrorists in
the Pankisi Gorge or elsewhere in the country. He said
they will help Georgia to carry out its military
reforms and train local antiterrorist troops.

http://sports.yahoo.com/