AFP. 20 March 2002. Zimbabwe: strike call largely ignored in Harare.

HARARE, March 20 (AFP) - A general strike called by Zimbabwe's powerful
trade unions after President Robert Mugabe's re-election was largely
ignored Wednesday in the capital Harare.

Most people reported for work on the first day of the three-day stayaway
and shops, companies, banks and restaurants opened as usual. A few
delayed opening, fearing violence, but later operated normally.

In Bulawayo, Zimbabwe's second largest city, many shops and most banks
were initially closed, but by midday most had opened.

The Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU) said it was calling the
strike to oppose Mugabe's government.

The strike call came on the heels of last week's hotly contested
election which returned longtime ruler Mugabe to power, defeating former
union boss Morgan Tsvangirai.

The former trade union leader has refused to recognize Mugabe's
re-election, charging "massive fraud."

While the ZCTU's strike call did not link the action directly to the
election, the move was seen as reflecting a broad-based demonstration of
displeasure over Mugabe's tainted victory.

Union members form the core of support for Tsvangirai, who led the ZCTU
before leaving to found the MDC in September 1999.

But workers said current economic hardships and food shortages were more
pressing than the political crisis.

"If it was a strike for more money, people would have heeded it," said
one, Henry Virima. "But now it's all political. The elections are over,
and now people want to build the nation and carry on to improve their
life."

Organisers admitted the work stoppage, called Monday, had largely failed
on the first day in Harare, but said it had received better responses in
other cities such as Bulawayo and Mutare.

"The stayaway is still going ahead, even though today there isn't an
encouraging response," a ZCTU spokesman told AFP.

But in the face of a severe economic crisis that finds some 70 percent
of the work force unemployed, people seemed more worried about holding
on to their jobs.

"We don't want to swell the ranks of the unemployed," said Peter
Mubaiwa.

"The problem here is that many companies are closing down and there's
many people with no jobs. ... I'd rather concentrate on economic issues
than on political issues. I have to take care of my family."

As dawn broke Wednesday, traffic was normal coming in from the suburbs
and the twin city of Chitungwiza, with commuter minibuses packed as
usual.

Some workers were commuting by bicycle, while many others unable to
afford the minibus fare were walking.

In Harare, the sprawling market in the working-class suburb of Mbare was
teeming and schoolchildren were seen heading to school.

Another familiar sight was that of hundreds of people queueing up for
food at various shopping centres across the city.

Dairibord Zimbabwe, one of the country's largest companies, was open,
with long queues of people waiting to buy milk, a commodity that has
become scarce.

Nearly 400 people were waiting in line outside a supermarket in Harare,
while in the industrial areas people were queueing for maize meal, the
main food staple, outside food depots.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews