[But will serve as an expedient pretext for convincing
the mentally-benumbed citizenry of Greater NATOdom to
invade, attack or militarily colonize whatever remains
of the previously unaffected nations of the world. The
universal panacea: Wars for/against terrorism.]

U.S. Gen.: Al-Qaida May Regroup
By Paul Haven
Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, March 20, 2002; 12:28 PM
BAGRAM, Afghanistan –– The battlefield commander in
Operation Anaconda said Wednesday that al-Qaida and
Taliban fighters, fueled by a fresh influx of cash,
are trying to regroup in eastern Afghanistan despite
the just-concluded American offensive there.
Citing intelligence data, Maj. Gen. Frank Hagenbeck
said local al-Qaida leaders are trying to rebuild
their forces in Paktia province, site of the biggest
U.S.-led offensive of the Afghan war and a longtime
Taliban and al-Qaida stronghold.
"I can tell you there are al-Qaida operatives in
Paktia right now who are going to great lengths to try
to regroup or regenerate," Hagenbeck said in an
interview with three news organizations in his office
at Bagram Air Base. "They are also spending a lot of
money to regroup."
Hagenbeck, who commanded U.S. forces in Operation
Anaconda, declined to elaborate on what measures
al-Qaida operatives were taking to rebuild their
forces. He predicted more al-Qaida activity in the
months ahead as the weather improves.
"This is traditionally the campaigning season. The end
of March and into April and somewhat into May. So we
expect to see some increased enemy activity," he said.
Gunmen attacked U.S. and Afghan troops late Tuesday
near the former theater of Operation Anaconda. An
American soldiers was wounded in the arm during the
firefight at an airfield outside the volatile eastern
town of Khost, said Commander Frank Merriman,
spokesman for U.S. Central Command.
U.S. troops and their Afghan allies called in air
support from an AC-130 gunship and a B-1 bomber, which
illuminated the area with flares, U.S. Central Command
said in a statement. The identity of the attackers was
unclear.
Three U.S.-allied soldiers were killed in fire at a
checkpoint outside the airfield, Afghan officials
said.
A contingent of up to 1,700 British soldiers is on its
way to Afghanistan to join the fight against al-Qaida
forces and will begin arriving at Bagram in coming
days. Hagenbeck said the force will give the coalition
more options.
"It will allow us to conduct more simultaneous
missions, because we'll have more troops here than in
the past," he said.
Hagenbeck also said two U.S. 10th Mountain Division
units – the 1-87th Infantry and 4-31st Infantry – will
be rotated out of Afghanistan and should be back home
in Fort Drum, New York by mid-April. They will be
replaced by more troops from the U.S. Army's 101st
Airborne Division, he said.
Members of the 10th Mountain Division were the first
regular U.S. ground troops dispatched to Central Asia
as a part of the American war on terrorism. They were
first sent to Uzbekistan last fall, providing security
for U.S. aircraft at an air base in Termez on the
Afghan border.
The division moved into Afghanistan after the fall of
the Taliban.
Hagenbeck dismissed claims by local Afghan commanders
that many al-Qaida fighters managed to escape during
Operation Anaconda, which ended this week.
Hagenbeck said commanders used Predator
remote-controlled spy planes to watch as hundreds of
al-Qaida and Taliban fighters moved into the
Shah-e-Kot valley in the first days of offensive –
even as the area was under attack.
"They were trying to push through, and we allowed them
to come in. They were coming in very small groups –
three, four, five at a time, using a trail network and
they flowed into the valley over a 48-hour period," he
said. Hagenbeck said that even as the U.S. began to
rout the enemy forces with heavy bombing and ground
combat, the fighters continued to enter the valley.
Based on monitoring of al-Qaida communications,
Hagenbeck said it appeared al-Qaida leaders were
unable to warn their fighters to turn back.
He said the influx of al-Qaida and Taliban fighters
was the reason for widely varying estimates of the
number of enemy troops facing coalition forces. U.S.
officials initially estimated there were 150 to 200
fighters in the Shah-e-Kot Valley, but estimates later
rose to nearly 1,000.
Only a few dozen corpses have been recovered from the
area, but Hagenbeck said that was because the bodies
had been blown to bits by U.S. bombs.
"A number of times, more than I can tell you, we
watched from the aerial platforms guys being
destroyed," Hagenbeck said. In one attack, "we had
been watching an area with 40 plus people in it. They
called in the aerial strike. We watched the explosion
and all we saw afterward was nothing but dirt and
mud."
The general did not rule out chasing al-Qaida fighters
into Pakistan in "hot pursuit," but said it would be
done only as a last resort and with the approval of
Pakistan's government.

http://sports.yahoo.com/