British Forces Against Terror Land At Coast
The Nation (Nairobi)
March 26, 2002

The British Air Force has joined the German Navy in
flying spy missions over Somalia in the ongoing war
against terror.
Two Royal Air Force Canberra planes arrived in Mombasa
at the weekend.
They based at the Moi International Airport from where
they will carry out their mission for unspecified
period.
The Press Officer at the British High Commission in
Nairobi, Mr Mark Norton, said the planes would carry
out reconnaissance missions in the "region".
He declined to reveal the exact part of the region but
it is widely believed that they will be targeting
Somalia whose area over the Indian Ocean is already
covered by the German Navy spy planes.
The forces would remain in the region as long as it
takes, he said.
The arrival of the planes followed that of a hired
Russian Antonov transport plane that landed on
Saturday with military hardware.
A day later, a contingent of about 140 Royal British
Air Force troops arrived in Mombasa and booked in a
beach hotel on the North Coast.
A spokesman for the German Navy Lt. Commander Frank
Hansmann confirmed that they would be co-operating
with the British in the spying missions
"As partners in Nato, we shall be working closely
because we are here for the same mission," he said on
telephone.
Lt Commander Hansmann said they had resumed their
flights to the Horn of Africa yesterday after a
three-day rest. The plane would be airborne for
between eight and 12 hours, he added.
He said that during previous spying missions, they had
made many "useful general contacts" about the vessels
plying in the area.
On why they had surrounded their hotel with razor
wire, Lt Commander Hannsmann said it was a purely
military precaution to secure their areas of
operations.
"First we secured the airport and now we have done the
same with the area where we are lodging ... this is a
purely military procedure," he said.

http://movies.yahoo.com/