http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Articles.asp?Article=20416&Sn=WORL

Gulf Daily News
April 11, 2002

More British troops join war on terror

-At full strength by mid-April, the 1,700 commandos,
engineers and support personnel will be Britain's
largest combat deployment since the 1991 Gulf War.

KABUL:
A second wave of British commandos landed in
Afghanistan early today to join US-led forces fighting
Taliban and Al Qaeda terror holdouts.

Flying into the main coalition base on a moonless
night, more than 120 Royal Marines marched off
Hercules planes with weapons, heavy packs and
equipment for missions in tortuous terrain that soars
to 13,000 feet.

"We've got a combat capability now," Lt Col Tim
Chicken, commander of 45 Commando Group, said at
Bagram Air Base, north of Kabul.

"I anticipate that within two or three days they'll be
at the exact same standard as the other guys."

Two bagpipers emerged first, their drone nearly
drowned by the roar of the plane engines.

The Royal Marines looked slightly dazed by the flood
of camera lights as they loaded their gear onto a
truck and marched off to a dark, dusty camp after two
months aboard HMS Ocean in the Gulf.

Several hundred more are expected to arrive from
Britain within a week or so.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/