From: Taimor Hazou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: OzPales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; solidarity_palestine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 7:03 AM
Subject: [solidarity_palestine] Great to read - know your enemy!

Who is Ariel Sharon?
Interview by Amos Oz in 1982
[URL can be found at the end of the text.]

The interview of Ariel Sharon by Amos Oz

(interview with Ariel Sharon published in the Israeli daily Davar
Dec. 17, 1982)

"You can call me anything you  like.  Call  me  a  monster  or  a
murderer.
Just note that I don't hate  Arabs.  On  the  contrary.  Personally, I
am
much more at ease with them, and especially with
the Bedouin, than with Jews. Those Arabs we  haven't  yet  spoilt are
proud
people, they are irrational, cruel and  generous.  It's the Yids that
are
all twisted. In order to  straighten  them  out
you have to first bend them  sharply  the  other  way.  That,  in
brief, is
my whole ideology.

"Call Israel by any name you like, call it a Judeo-Nazi state  as does
Leibowitz. Why not? Better a live  Judeo-Nazi  than  a  dead saint. I
don't
care whether I am like Ghadafi. I am not after the
admiration of the gentiles. I don't need their love. I don't need to be
loved by Jews like you either. I have to live, and I intend to ensure
that
my children will live as well. With or without the blessing of the Pope
and
the other religious leaders from the New
York Times. I will destroy anyone who will raise a  hand  against my
children, I will destroy him and his children, with or without our
famous
purity of arms. I  don't  care  if  he  is  Christian, Muslim, Jewish
or
pagan. History teaches us  that  he  who  won't
kill will be killed by others. That is an iron law.

"Even if you'll prove  to  me  by  mathematical  means  that  the
present
war in Lebanon is a dirty  immoral  war,  I  don't  care.  Moreover,
even
if you will prove to me that we have not  achieved
and will not achieve any of our aims in  Lebanon,  that  we  will
neither
create a friendly  regime  in  Lebanon  nor  destroy  the Syrians or
even
the PLO, even then I don't  care.  It  was  still
worth it. Even if Galilee is shelled  again  by  Katyushas  in  a
year's
time, I don't really care. We  shall  start  another  war, kill and
destroy
more and more, until they will have had  enough.  And do you know why
it is
all worth it?  Because  it  seems  that
this war has made us more unpopular among the so-called civilised
world.

"We'll hear no more of that  nonsense  about  the  unique Jewish
morality,
the moral lessons of the holocaust or  about  the  Jews who were
supposed
to have emerged from the gas chambers pure  and
virtuous. No more of that. The destruction of Eyn Hilwe (and it's a
pity we
did not wipe out that hornet's nest  completely!),  the healthy
bombardment
of Beirut and that  tiny  massacre  (can  you call 500 Arabs a
massacre?)
in their camps which we  should  have committed with  our  own
delicate
hands  rather  than  let  the
Phalangists do it,  all  these  good  deeds  finally  killed  the
bullshit
talk about a unique people and of being a light upon the nations. No
more
uniqueness and no more sweetness and light. Good riddance."

"I personally don't want  to  be  any  better  than  Khomeini  or
Brezhnev
or Ghadafi or Assad or  Mrs.  Thatcher,  or  even  Harry Truman who
killed
half a million Japanese with two fine bombs.  I
only  want  to  be  smarter  than  they  are,  quicker  and  more
efficient, not better or more beautiful than they are.  Tell  me, do
the
baddies of this world have a bad time? If anyone tries  to
touch them, the evil men cut his hands and legs  off.  They  hunt and
catch
whatever they feel like eating. They don't suffer  from indigestion and
are
not punished by Heaven. I want Israel to join
that club. Maybe the world will then at last  begin  to  fear  me
instead
of feeling  sorry  for  me.  Maybe  they  will  start  to tremble, to
fear
my madness  instead  of  admiring  my  nobility.
Thank god for that.  Let them tremble, let  them  call  us  a
madstate.
Let them understand that we are a wild country,  dangerous to our
surroundings, not normal, that we might go crazy if one of
our children is murdered - just one! That we might  go  wild  and burn
all
the oil fields in the Middle  East!  If  anything  would happen to your
child, god forbid, you would talk like I  do.  Let them be aware in
Washington, Moscow, Damascus and China  that  if one of our ambassadors
is
shot, or even  a  consul  or  the  most  junior embassy official, we
might
start World War Three just like
that !" ......

We are talking while sitting on the balcony of the pretty country house
belonging to C. which is situated in a  prosperous  Moshav.  To the
west we
see a burning sunset and there is a scent of fruit
trees in the air.  We  are  being  served  iced  coffee  in  tall
glasses.
C. is about fifty years old. He is a man well known  for his (military)
actions. He is  a  strong,  heavy  figure  wearing shorts but no shirt.
His
body is tanned a metallic bronze  shade, the colour of a blond man
living
in the sun. He  puts  his  hairy legs on the table and his hands on the
chair. There is a scar  on his neck. His eyes wander over his
plantations.
He spells out his
ideology in a voice made hoarse by too much smoking:

"Let me tell me [sic] what  is  the  most  important  thing,  the
sweetest
fruit of the war in Lebanon: It is that now  they  don't just hate
Israel.
Thanks to us, they  now  also  hate  all  those Feinschmecker Jews in
Paris,  London,  New  York,  Frankfurt  and
Montreal, in all their holes. At last they hate  all  these  nice Yids,
who
say they are different  from  us,  that  they  are  not Israeli thugs,
that
they are different Jews,  clean  and  decent.  Just like the
assimilated
Jew in Vienna  and  Berlin  begged  the anti-Semite not to  confuse
him
with  the  screaming,  stinking Ostjude, who had smuggled himself into
that
cultural  environment out of the dirty ghettos of Ukraine and  Poland.
It
won't  help
them, those clean Yids, just as it did not help  them  in  Vienna and
Berlin. Let them shout that they condemn  Israel,  that  they are all
right, that they did not want and don't want  to  hurt  a fly, that
they
always prefer being slaughtered to fighting,  that
they have taken it upon themselves to teach the gentiles  how  to be
good
Christians by always turning the other cheek. It won't do them any
good.
Now they are getting it there because of us, and I
am telling you, it is a pleasure to watch.

"They are the same Yids who persuaded the gentiles to  capitulate to
the
bastards in  Vietnam,  to  give  it  in  to  Khomeini,  to Brezhnev, to
feel sorry for Sheikh Yamani because  of  his  tough
childhood, to make love not war. Or rather, to  do  neither,  and
instead
write a thesis on love and war. We are through  with  all that. The Yid
has
been rejected, not only did he  crucify  Jesus,
but he also crucified Arafat in Sabra and Shatila. They are being
identified with us and that's a good thing! Their cemeteries  are being
desecrated, their synagogues are set on fire, all their old
nicknames are being revived, they are  being  expelled  from  the best
clubs, people shoot into their ethnic restaurants  murdering small
children, forcing them to remove any sign showing  them  to
be Jews, forcing them to move and change their profession.

"Soon their palaces will be smeared with the slogan: Yids, go  to
Palestine! And you know what? They will go to  Palestine  because
they will have no other choice! All this is a bonus  we  received from
the
Lebanese war. Tell me, wasn't it worth it?

"Soon we will hit on good times. The Jews  will  start  arriving, the
Israelis will stop emigrating and those who already emigrated will
return.
Those  who  had  chosen  assimilation  will  finally
understand that it won't help them to try and be  the  conscience of
the
world.  The  'conscience  of  the  world'  will  have  to understand
through its arse what it could not get into its  head.  The gentiles
have
always  felt  sick  of  the  Yids  and  their conscience, and now the
Yids
will have only one option:  to  come home, all of them, fast, to
install
thick steel doors, to build a strong fence, to have submachine guns
positioned at every  corner
of their fence here and to fight like devils against  anyone  who dares
make a sound in this region. And if anyone  even  raises his hand
against
us we'll take away half his land  and  burn  the
other half, including the oil. We might use nuclear  arms.  We'll go on
until he no longer feels like it...

"...You probably want to know whether I  am  not  afraid  of  the
masses of
Yids coming here to escape  anti-semitism  smearing  us with their
olive
oil until we go  all  soft  like  them.  Listen,
history is funny in that way, there is a dialectic  here,  irony.  Who
was
it who  expanded  the  state  of  Israel  almost  up  the boundaries of
the
kingdom of King David? Who expanded  the  state
until it covered the area from Mount Hermon to Raz Muhammad? Levi
Eshkol.
Of all people, it  was  that  follower  of  Gordon,  that softie, that
old
woman. Who, on the other hand, is about to  push
us back into the walls of the ghetto? Who gave up all of Sinai in order
retain a civilised image? Beitar's governor  in  Poland, that proud man
Menahem Begin. So you can never tell. I only  know  one thing for sure:
as
long as you are fighting for your life all is permitted, even to drive
out
all the Arabs from the West Bank, everything.

"Leibowitz is right, we are Judeo-Nazis, and why not?  Listen,  a
people
that gave itself up to be slaughtered, a people  that  let soap to be
made
of its children and lamp shades from the skin  of
its women is a worse criminal than its murderers. Worse than  the
Nazis...If your nice civilised parents  had  come  here  in  time
instead
of writing books about the love for humanity and  singing Hear O Israel
on
the way  to  the  gas  chambers,  now  don't  be shocked, if they
instead
had killed six  million  Arabs  here  or even one million, what would
have
happened? Sure,  two  or  three nasty pages would have been written  in
the  history  books,  we would have been called all sorts of names, but
we
could  be  here today as a people of 25 million!

"Even today I am willing to volunteer to do the  dirty  work  for
Israel,
to kill as many Arabs as necessary, to  deport  them,  to expel and
burn
them, to have everyone hate us, to  pull  the  rug
from underneath the feet of the Diaspora Jews, so that they  will be
forced
to run to us crying. Even if it means blowing up one or two synagogues
here
and there, I don't care. And I don't mind  if
after the job is done you put me in front of  a  Nuremberg  Trial and
then
jail me for  life.  Hang  me  if  you  want,  as  a  war criminal. Then
you
can spruce up your Jewish conscience and enter
the respectable club of civilised nations, nations that are large and
healthy. What you lot don't understand is that the dirty work of
Zionism is
not finished yet, far from it. True, it could  have
been finished in 1948, but you interfered, you  stopped  it.  And all
this
because of the Jewishness in your souls, because of your
Diaspora mentality. For the Jews don't grasp things  quickly.  If you
open
your eyes and look around the world you  will  see  that darkness is
falling again. And we know what happens to a Jew  who stays out in the
dark. So I  am  glad  that  this  small  war  in Lebanon frightened the
Yids. Let them be afraid, let them suffer.  They should hurry home
before
it gets really dark.  So  I  am  an
anti-Semite ? Fine. So don't quote me, quote  Lilienblum  instead [an
early
Russian Zionist - ed.]. There is no need  to  quote  an anti-Semite.
Lilienblum, and he is definitely not an  anti-Semite, there is even a
street in Tel Aviv named after  him.  (C. quotes from a small notebook
that
was lying on his table  when  I arrived:) 'Is all that is happening not
clear  sign  that  our forefathers  and  ourselves...wanted  and  still
want   to   be
disgraced? That we enjoy living like gypsies.' That's Lilienblum.  Not
me.
Believe me. I went through the Zionist literature, I  can prove what I
say.

"And you can write that I am disgrace to humanity, I don't  mind, on
the
contrary. Let's make a deal: I will do all I can to  expel the Arabs
from
here, I will  do  all  I  can  to  increase  anti-semitism, and you
will
write poems and essays about the misery of
the Arabs and be prepared to absorb the Yids I will force to flee to
this
country and teach them to be a light unto  the  gentiles.  How about it
?"

It was there that I stopped  C.'s  monologue  for  a  moment  and
expressed
the thought passing through my mind, perhaps  more  for myself than for
my
host. Was it possible that Hitler had not only
hurt the Jews but also poisoned their minds? Had that poison sunk in
and
was still active? But not even that idea could cause C. to protest or
raise
his voice. After all,  he  said  to  have  never
shouted under stress, even during the famous operations his  name is
associated with..."

http://www.counterpunch.org/pipermail/counterpunch-list/2001-September/01
305
4.html