AFP. 11 April 2002. Chavez orders troops around presidential palace to
stop clashes;
Venezuela's Chavez stops broadcast on three tv channels.

CARACAS -- Venezuela's embattled President Hugo Chavez said Thursday he
had ordered troops to surround the Miraflores presidential palace to
protect his sympathizers against protesters calling for his resignation.

"These people think they are going to be able to come here and get
Chavez out and they think the armed forces are going to support a
rebellion," said Chavez in a broadcast that began around 4:00 pm (2000
GMT).

"The march can't get here, with thousands of people outside, we can't
permit that," he said in a message to the nation.

Chavez announced Thursday that broadcasts by three private television
channels had been suspended on grounds they were inciting people to
violence.

Chavez announced the measure in a public broadcast, shortly after police
said a journalist had been shot dead, as around 50,000 people held a
protest march in a plush district of eastern Caracas.