Serb ex-minister praises Milosevic in suicide note
Reuters

-"I give my life, as the Federal Parliament deputy, at
the very entrance to the Parliament building... as a
symbol of the people's ongoing struggle for
constitutionality, lawfulness and national dignity,"
Stojiljkovic wrote.
-Parliament passed the law on cooperation with the
tribunal only under pressure from the United States,
which froze financial aid this month after Belgrade
failed to extradite more suspects.
-"By this act I want to join the ranks of heroes, my
policemen, members of the army and people who, showing
patriotism, unprecedented heroism, readiness and
decisiveness, gave their lives defending their country
and people from criminals."
-In sharp contrast, Stojiljkovic accused new Serb and
Yugoslav leaders who ousted Milosevic in October 2000
of introducing "a fascist dictatorship".
-"My death will also be a small contribution to the
rightful demands for early elections that will be won
by those who will represent the true interests of the
workers, the farmers and all the patriotic citizens of
this country," Stojiljkovic wrote.

BELGRADE: In his suicide note, former Serbian Interior
Minister and accused war criminal Vlajko Stojiljkovic
praised his former boss and friend Slobodan Milosevic
and blamed reformers for his decision to end his life.

Stojiljkovic, who shot himself outside the Yugoslav
Parliament yesterday hours after it passed a law to
send him and other suspects to a UN court, left behind
the 15-page message explaining why he had chosen death
rather than trial.
He was in a critical condition in a Belgrade hospital
in the early hours of yesterday morning (local time)
after emergency surgery.
"I give my life, as the Federal Parliament deputy, at
the very entrance to the Parliament building... as a
symbol of the people's ongoing struggle for
constitutionality, lawfulness and national dignity,"
Stojiljkovic wrote.
His lawyer Branimir Gugl distributed copies of the
handwritten message at a news conference yesterday,
saying his client had been planning to commit suicide
since June 2001, after reformers handed Milosevic over
to the Hague tribunal.
Parliament passed the law on cooperation with the
tribunal only under pressure from the United States,
which froze financial aid this month after Belgrade
failed to extradite more suspects. Serb nationalists
called it an act of treason.
"By this act I want to join the ranks of heroes, my
policemen, members of the army and people who, showing
patriotism, unprecedented heroism, readiness and
decisiveness, gave their lives defending their country
and people from criminals."
As the minister in charge of Milosevic's feared
police, Stojiljkovic was charged by the tribunal along
with his ex-boss for atrocities committed by Serb
forces in Kosovo in 1999.
But Stojiljkovic had this to say: "I'm proud of my
work in the Ministry of Interior from April 1997 to
September 2000."
Writing about his former chief, he said: "I know
Slobodan Milosevic from his youth days... A man of
great charisma... I worked with him most closely as
the chairman of the (Yugoslav) Chamber of Commerce and
as the interior minister."
"He (Milosevic) had great confidence in me, I used to
tell him the truth."
In sharp contrast, Stojiljkovic accused new Serb and
Yugoslav leaders who ousted Milosevic in October 2000
of introducing "a fascist dictatorship".
He said he blamed Yugoslav President Vojislav
Kostunica and Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic,
along with some other reformists' leaders for his own
death.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/