http://www.turkishdailynews.com/FrTDN/latest/for.htm#f7

Turkish Daily News
April 17, 2002

Ziyal, Grossman to discuss need for increased NATO
involvement against terrorism

U.S. State Department Undersecretary Marc Grossman met
with Foreign Ministry Undersecretary Ugur Ziyal on
Tuesday to discuss the need for NATO involvement in
the U.S.-led international war on terrorism.

Grossman told reporters after the meeting that they
hoped a solution could be found by Turkey and the
European Union over the European Security and Defense
Policy (ESDP), commenting that Turkey should be part
of the ESDP.

Ziyal said that the emphasis was on three leading
topics during the negotiations: "Initially, the
development of new capabilities concerning the new
tactics being improved in the aftermath of Sept. 11;
the reevaluation of the enlargement of NATO; and the
relations between NATO and Russia. We share common
views," he stated.

Grossman indicated that he brought three suggestions
prior to the Prague summit and received positive
reactions from the Turkish side.

"We discussed new struggling tactics against terrorism
and weapons of mass destruction, NATO enlargement,
NATO's relations with Russia, Central Asia and the
Ukraine," Grossman said.

NATO should be strengthened to defend its 19 member
states against terrorism and biological and chemical
weapons, senior U.S. and Turkish officials said on
Tuesday.

"These are the new threats," Grossman told reporters
in Ankara, where the meeting was held. "I think the
(Turkish) Undersecretary and I agreed that these are
the kinds of things the alliance ought be talking
about."

Grossman is holding talks with officials in nine
European capitals on expanding the alliance to include
new members. The new members are expected to be
invited to join, at a NATO summit in the Czech capital
Prague in November.

Nine countries have applied to join NATO, including
Baltic countries Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia as
well as Slovakia, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Romania.

Grossman and Ziyal declined to name which countries
would be invited to join, but Ziyal said the United
States and Turkey shared similar views on enlargement.

"Turkey wants expansion to be as broad as possible,"
Ziyal said. Turkey has expressed strong backing for
the applications of its Balkan neighbors, Romania and
Bulgaria.

Grossman, who previously served as the U.S. Ambassador
to Turkey, is the U.S. administration official with
the most experience in Turkey and Turkey-related
affairs.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/