http://www.antiwar.com/orig/deliso39.html

ANTIWAR, Wednesday, April 17, 2002

A Macedonian Miracle: Zoran Rosomanov and the Survival of Free
Enterprise in
the Balkans

by Christopher Deliso

In the sweltering heat of Summer 2001, as Macedonian Army helicopters
were
flying overhead to bomb the NLA in nearby Aracinovo, Zoran Rosomanov was

laying the foundation for his new factory. At the height of the war, in
the
midst of chaos and uncertainty about Macedonia's political and economic
future, Rosomanov was betting everything he had on the future success of
his
new enterprise. He had personally signed off on the bank loans, putting
his
assets and professional credibility on the line. He freely admits now
that
"many people thought I was crazy." Yet he persevered nonetheless, with a

conviction that never wavered, and an optimism that was never stifled.
Now
this charismatic visionary is one of the leading young businessmen in
Macedonia. His upstart printing house has taken the Balkans by storm,
and
thrown the competition into a panic.

Almost always, the news from Macedonia seems to be bad. It is a
refreshing
change, therefore, to come across a story of success. And though this
story
chronicles one man and his entrepeneurial efforts, the tale has wider
applications. For in it are intertwined many potent themes: war and its
alternatives, the true patriotism and the false, free markets and the
role
of the state. These are issues that reverberate all around the world,
not
merely in one beleaguered Balkan country.

Putting Macedonia on par with the West

Rosomanov's company, Bato and Divajn, is exceptional for its
technological
sophistication. Specializing in printing and design, this operation uses

cutting-edge printing machines from Germany's Heidelberg - a world
leader in
the field. With these state-of-the-art machines, Rosomanov can print up
15,000 sheets per hour. He has convinced Heidelberg to give him upgrades

every few years on credit, as well as to maintain a repair team in his
factory. Now he is working on becoming the company's sole Balkan
representative.

Together with his business partner, expert printer Dusan Onchevski,
Rosomanov manages an extremely complex operation that produces all of
those
essential things that most people take for granted: bus tickets, beer
labels, cigarette boxes and poster advertisements, to name but a few.
The
factory itself is very sensitive, requiring constant regulation of the
moisture content and room temperature. The trained staff of forty works
with
highly complicated and highly valuable machinery - the intricately
ridged
design templates alone sell for $18,000 each.

Until Rosomanov's $2.7 million investment, Macedonia's printing world
had
never seen anything to compare with this technology. Hardly anyone had
any
experience in an industry that was almost entirely non-existent. Not
only
were the machines expensive, they had to be trucked from far-off places
like
Germany - a cumbersome process that Rosomanov once expedited, by
attaching
blue lights to the top of his car. His "police escort" enabled the truck
motor freely south to Skopje.

Such imaginative pragmatism has characterized Zoran Rosomanov's business

style from the start. Where others saw only barriers, he saw
opportunities.
Where many felt helpless to stop the war, he saw a way to establish the
preliminary conditions for peace. Indeed, when there was no printing
industry in agriculture-minded Macedonia, he created one. Rosomanov
would
stand out anywhere for his enthusiasm and initiative; in Macedonia, he
is
almost an anomaly.

>From the beginning, an entrepeneurial spirit

Throughout his career, Rosomanov's special talent has been tactical
observation. Even at a very young age, he kept his eyes open for
opportunities. Rosomanov's strategy, often called simply "market
research,"
is both clever and highly effective. His trademark has always been to
observe his surroundings, perceive a need, and then use everything at
his
disposal - from persuasion to promises to cold hard cash - to fill that
need
better than any of his competitors. This is how he has been able to
claim
the Balkans as his "turf," and to alarm the Slovenian and Austrian
competition which is gradually, inexorably, being undermined by the
Macedonian juggernaut that is Bato and Divajn.

Rosomanov's career began in music production with Macedonian National
Television (MTV). He continued in the same field further north in
Europe,
becoming a sales manager in Belgrade by the age of 21. Gradually he
developed interests in marketing and graphic design. In 1992, at the age
of
26, Rosomanov opened a marketing firm in Skopje called Divajn. At the
same
time, he was making important contacts in the fields of printing and
design,
and talking up his business with potential investors from Milan to
Amsterdam. Rosomanov then conceived of the idea for something never
before
seen in Macedonia - a printing house that could compete with the
European
heavyweights.

>From the start, it was Rosomanov's almost insane optimism that made the
difference. Having no money, self-confidence was all that he could count
on.
His first big victory was in convincing an envelope printer from Holland
sell the fledgling enterprise a used four-color printing machine. The
machine cost over $200,000; Rosomanov had nothing. The daring solution?
"Give it to me on credit," he boldly declared. "You know what?"
Rosomanov
recalls with a grin, "he gave it to me - and to do this, he had to turn
down
higher offers from three other countries."

Rosomanov's second big victory owed once again to his ability to win the

trust of other businessmen. The budding entrepeneur observed that
Macedonia's largest brewery, Skopsko, was getting its beer labels
printed in
far-off Slovenia. The inefficiency of this set-up got Rosomanov's mind
working on how he, a complete unknown, could take Skopsko from the
Slovenians. He told his designer to buy two beers, remove the labels,
and
reproduce them "pixel by pixel." After the "new" labels were ready,
Rosomanov presented them to the astonished brewers. They were ready to
consider that this young upstart might have something to offer. And
then, as
luck would have it, the delivery truck from Slovenia happened to be
running
late. Rosomanov recounts:

"so they asked me if I could have one million labels ready by 9 A.M. the

next morning. I told them I could do it. When I went back, I called all
my
workers, and said: 'bring your pillows, we have work to do tonight!' But
by
9 A.M. we had finished all of them - all one million labels. And that is
how
I got started."

Consolidation and expansion

Today, Rosomanov's customers still rave about his punctuality. Time and
time
again, he has delivered on his word - thereby gaining a reputation for
reliability. From the humble beginnings of a used four-color printer, he
has
gone on to build a new Macedonian empire. His clients include Coca Cola,

Canon, the Macedonian Lottery, Macedonia's BOSS cigarettes, and Skopje's

public bus system. He prints books, newspaper inserts, and promotional
material for telecommunications firms and medical supply companies.
After
viewing Rosomanov's massive operation, one is left with the feeling that

there is nothing his company can't do.

This sentiment is doubly confirmed by a visit to Rosomanov's second
venture,
Divajn Project Management. This outgrowth of his first company offers
promotion, marketing and design services. Between his two companies,
Rosomanov has mastered a sort of vertical integration. For example, take
typical job for Coca Cola. First, the printing plant churns out the Coca

Cola labels, posters and flyers. Then, his graphic design team crafts
sexy
clothes for those svelte young models - also provided by Rosomanov - who

will work Coke's beachside summer promotions. No one else in Macedonia
can
offer such a range of complementary services.

As if that weren't enough, Rosomanov has recently been getting into
interior
design. Employing a decidedly modern aesthetic, his architects create
unique
and colorful homes - which seem much more in the style of Los Angeles or

London than little old Skopje. To top it off, Rosomanov is also an
accomplished photographer.

Free enterprise: a new definition of patriotism

Zoran Rosomanov's success story would seem improbable enough, happening
as
it has in a small, poor country. It becomes even more incongruous when
we
consider that Rosomanov started up just as full-scale battles were going
on,
and the future of Macedonia remained in doubt. Yet he was undeterred by
the
threat of war, or the fear that had paralyzed so many of his countrymen.
mentioned my surprise at his stoic attitude; Rosomanov just shrugged it
off.
"What can we do?" he quipped. "We have to live."

I wondered if Rosomanov had any concerns about security - especially
considering that several other factories had been attacked or destroyed
during the war. He pointed with a grin to a fierce-looking mutt chained
up
in front of his factory. When we approached, however, the dog just
wagged
its tail and rolled over happily. Not auspicious. Of course, Bato and
Divajn
does employ a few security guards, and carries an extensive insurance
policy. Still, the boss is not too worried.

Rosomanov's thoughts on patriotism are also refreshingly unique. During
the
war, the Western media was flooded with images of "angry Slavs."
Paramilitary groups and jeering crowds, it seemed, were the sole
representatives of an entirely anti-Western nation. Feeling powerless
against both the NLA and the Western media, the Macedonians voiced their

frustration through shows of nationalism. But Rosomanov neither enlisted
nor
sat around waving a flag. Instead, he took his love for Macedonia and
turned
it into something positive, by starting a business that has made his
country
a regional leader in the printing industry. By keeping his Macedonian
clients from having to shop abroad, he brought a vast amount of money
back
into the domestic economy. And, of course, he gave people jobs.
Rosomanov
declares:

"I'm a big fighter for my country. Why? Many people give up. They say,
'the
West is better.' But they shouldn't say that. We have a beautiful
country,
with everything we need here... my fight is, why do we need to look
outside?"

Rosomanov's patriotism is quietly expressed in his work. While others
complain about Macedonia's many capitulations and call for a stronger
military, Rosomanov believes that change will only come through other
means
- chiefly, by developing a climate where free enterprise is allowed to
thrive, independently of state coercion and corruption. Macedonia also
suffers, he contends, when its businesses import commodities that could
be
produced at home. In this regard, Macedonia still has a long way to go.
achieve economic freedom and internal stability, the country must first
free
itself of the burden of its history.

Problems with history, problems with the state

In the long years of Yugoslav rule, "Macedonia had no voice" in shaping
policy, Rosomanov says. In this period, Macedonians held few managerial
or
other decision-making positions. All of the orders came from Belgrade,
and
the country was used primarily as a supplier of agricultural products
for
the rest of Yugoslavia. The reliance on foreign imports for most
industrial
and technological commodities has characterized Macedonia's first ten
years
of independence. These are the prime limiting factors that have slowed
the
transition to a successful economy.

Unsurprisingly, an entrepeneur like Rosomanov would like to speed the
process along. In his view, "A country should be run like a business -
and
so it's very important to have a prime minister who is also a
businessman."
Yet this is not the only essential change, Rosomanov suggests;
institutional
reforms are also necessary. The bureaucracy is labyrinthine and
maddeningly
slow. The wheels of government are neither well-oiled nor geared towards

helping independent businessmen. Dealing with banks can be a nightmare.
On
top of all this, there is the legal institution. Rosomanov avers:

"the biggest problem is with the law. First, we must change the court
system. People must learn how to protect themselves (i.e., their private

property). If we have good courts and a good constitution, many people
will
invest here."

Foreign investment in Macedonian businesses is a laudable goal. Thus
far,
however, foreign investors in Macedonia have seemed more like vultures,
feeding off the carcasses of bloated state-owned enterprises. As in
other
Balkan countries, privatization has been a painful experience here.
Ingrained pessimism at the reality of state corruption has also
contributed
to the lack of entrepreneurial initiative in Macedonia. Confronted with
insurmountable bureaucracy, unfriendly lenders, an outdated court system
and
governmental expectation of bribes and kickbacks, it is no wonder why
would-be entrepeneurs have found it tough going in Macedonia.

Predictions and possibilities

Only time will tell whether Zoran Rosomanov exemplifies a new breed of
Macedonian businessmen - or whether he is just an aberration. On the one

hand, the positive response that has greeted his enterprise would seem
indicate that Macedonia is ready for change. Yet since his breadth of
vision
and personal drive make him an exception rather than the rule,
Rosomanov's
prediction that "Macedonia will be better than Switzerland" in ten years
is
perhaps premature.

Indeed, considering that so much of Bato and Divajn's success owes to
the
unique qualities of one man, we must be careful not to draw too many
conclusions from it about the future of Macedonian business. Yet the
fact
that there are such people as Zoran Rosomanov - individuals who refuse
to be
victims of the state, and who seek independence through building free
markets - is an encouraging sign. Wedded with Western capitalism, Balkan

logic might just prove effective. In such thinking, the human dimension
is
everything. As Rosomanov says, "I'm rich with the people, not with the
money. If you have too much money, but don't have friends, you have
nothing." This sentiment is the bedrock on which his business rests. If
Macedonia does indeed succeed in pulling itself up to Western standards,
it
will be through the utilization of just such a homegrown quality - one
exemplified in the minor miracle of Zoran Rosomanov's unlikely
Macedonian
empire.

Christopher Deliso is a journalist and travel writer with special
interest
in current events in the areas of the former Byzantine Empire - the
Balkans,
Greece, Turkey, and the Caucasus. Mr. Deliso holds a master's degree
with
honors in Byzantine Studies (from Oxford University), and has traveled
widely in the region. His current long-term research projects include
the
Macedonia issue, the Cyprus problem, and the ethnography of Byzantine
Georgia.