Inquirer News Service. 21 April 2002. Golez: US troops may stay beyond
'Balikatan' exercises. Excerpts.

The additional 340 Americans taking part in the RP-US Balikatan 02-1
just arrived Saturday morning and already National Security Adviser
Roilo Golez is saying they can stay on even after the military exercise
ends in July.

Golez said in an interview that the US Navy engineers, or Seabees, could
stay until the infrastructure projects they planned to undertake in
Basilan had been completed.

"If they are not yet finished by July, why not (allow them to stay on)?
Sayang naman. They are bringing in good equipment."

The other day, Golez said the Seabees would try to complete their work
within 60 days because the rainy season was expected to begin in June,
making their work difficult.

Golez said the planned four million dollars worth of infrastructure
projects would jumpstart Basilan's economy.

Capt. Noel Detoyato, spokesperson of the Armed Forces' Southern Command,
on Saturday said the newly arrived US troops had set a 60-day period
within which to complete their projects.

"They will do their projects simultaneously and will rush them before
the rainy season starts," Detoyato said in a phone interview. "After
that, they will leave. They have no intention of staying longer."

The US contingent, composed of 280 Navy Seabees and 60 Marines, landed
around 7:30 a.m. on Barangay Tabiawan in Isabela City, Basilan.

Basilan Gov. Wahab Akbar grinned from ear to ear as he watched the
Americans disembark and unload heavy equipment from the Okinawa-based
USS Germantown.

"My happiness is indescribable, my dream is now starting to
materialize," he told the Inquirer. "I know that I can die 10 times and
not be able to purchase this equipment for my people."

The Americans unloaded eight graders, 11 bulldozers, seven pocket
loaders, six compactors, eight cargo trucks, 10 dump trucks, two tractor
trailers, a crane, two excavators and a water wheel drilling ridge.

But amid the welcoming mood, Basilan Bishop Martin Jumoad aired his
anxieties to the Inquirer.

"I really welcome their good gesture, no doubt about that, but I cannot
understand why there is a need to extend their stay here. I am now
becoming apprehensive of their real intention," he said.

Jumoad said he had been made to understand that the US troops were
taking part in the Balikatan solely to enhance the Philippine military's
capability to crush the Abu Sayyaf, which is still holding hostage an
American missionary couple and a Filipino nurse.

"All I knew was that it would be for plain military exercises only," he
said. "(Now they) will be in Basilan for a long period of time. I'm
getting confused."

"(The extension) was not included in the plan," he said.

But Akbar said he wanted the six-month Balikatan exercise extended up to
six years.

"Six months are not enough for a comprehensive program," he said.

"Six years would be the ideal length of extension."

In Malacaņang, acting Press Secretary Silvestre Afable agreed that the
Seabees were not bound to the duration of Balikatan 02-1.

"Of course they cannot leave if their work is not yet finished," he
said.

Barry Stoller
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews