http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=7987

Marines set pace at base in Uzbekistan

By Rick Scavetta, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, April 24, 2002

-Similar Marine detachments are deployed to other air
bases in Central Asia, which cannot be named for
security reasons.

STRONGHOLD FREEDOM, Uzbekistan — Normally in wartime,
the Marine Corps is relieved by "follow-on" forces
from the other services.

At this small airfield in southern Uzbekistan, it’s
the other way around.

Marines arrived last week to establish air traffic
control services and base protection for U.S. and
coalition aircraft.

About 230 Marines from two Marine Air Control
Squadrons — one based in Cherry Point, N.C., the other
from Iwakuni, Japan — began setting up for operations
to begin within the next few weeks.

"It’s two squadrons working under the same hat,"
Marine Lt. Col. Laura Muhlenberg said. "It’s the first
time we’ve executed a mission together."

Similar Marine detachments are deployed to other air
bases in Central Asia, which cannot be named for
security reasons. The Marines plan to stay about six
months, Muhlenberg said.

Some of the Marines had little time to prepare for
Uzbekistan, said Marine Maj. George Williams, because
they pulled security duty at the Winter Olympics near
Salt Lake City, setting up radar.

"We went through an amazing amount of work to get here
in a short time," he said.

Getting to work has not been easy for the Marines. The
former Soviet air base had little to offer. Now, they
are waiting on Army engineers to improve base
facilities.

"Normally we’re on the ground and operating within a
couple days," Muhlenberg said. "It’s being phased in.
Over the next few weeks, we will progressively provide
more services."

This weekend, Cpl. Mark Kopanski, 20, of Coatsville,
Pa., and Lance Cpl. Frank Candiloro, 21, of Readsboro,
Vt., strung cables along an access road to the flight
line.

"We’re running fiber optic wire to the Army switch,"
Kopanski said. "It’s so the flight line can
communicate with the base camp."

Part of the Marine mission also is to set up what they
call Anti-Terror Force Protection.

U.S. Special Forces are setting up a weapons range for
Marines to familiarize themselves with heavy machine
guns. Marine mentality dictates that all troops,
regardless of their job specialty, are basic
infantrymen.

Still, Lance Cpl. Scott Duncan, 20, from Raleigh,
N.C., was glad to train with the Green Berets before
taking to his guard post.

"We all know to stand post," Duncan said. "This is an
opportunity to build up experience. I see it as an
opportunity."

http://games.yahoo.com/