I'm not America's poodle, says Blair

AFP [ FRIDAY, APRIL 26, 2002  8:52:25 AM ]

LONDON: British Prime Minister Tony Blair said on
Friday he was not America's poodle in its war on
terrorism or any strike on Iraq, insisting he would
only agree to military action if he thought it was the
right thing to do.

Blair said that "action is not imminent" against Iraq,
although recent events in Afghanistan, including the
rise of the Taliban and the al-Qaeda network of chief
terror suspect Osama Bin Laden threw the need for
action into sharp focus.

"In respect of Iraq or anything else, if I thought
America was wrong to do something, I would say so,"
Blair told the Guardian newspaper for a series of
articles to mark his five years as Premier.

Asked if he was irked by suggestions that Britain was
America's "poodle", he replied, "it doesn't irk me but
I do think people are wrong and potentially very
destructive of this country's influence.

"It's a good thing that the British Prime Minister has
influence with the American President. There are
forces inside America that believe that it should be
on its own, entirely unilateralist."

Blair added, "it should be part of our job constantly
to say no, there are good allies in the world who can
work with you', and where we have disagreement, like
we do over Kyoto agreement or some trade issues, we
will say that."

http://games.yahoo.com/