http://sg.news.yahoo.com/020425/1/2om50.html

Thursday April 25, 4:44 PM
Links between IRA and Colombian rebels
unsubstantiated: lawmakers

Irate US lawmakers branded a congressional staff
report alleging links between the Irish Republican
Army and leftist Colombian rebels as not credible,
while Colombian witnesses insisted they had proof.

"I don't believe that report was very credible," said
Republican Representative Peter King at a hearing
Wednesday billed as a peek into global terrorism as
"illustrated by the IRA in Colombia."

"There is no evidence whatsoever the IRA had any
involvement at all" with three Irish nationals held
and charged in Colombia last year with training
leftist Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC)
rebels in the use of explosives.

Particularly disturbing, added another lawmaker, was
the underlying suggestion that such connections should
galvanize Washington into beefing up its military aid
to help Bogota battle the guerrillas.

The report by the House International Relations staff
seemed to do nothing more than "rubber stamp a
preordained conclusion to fit a particular agenda,"
said Representative William Delahunt.

President George W. Bush, who recently met with his
Colombian counterpart Andres Pastrana, has pledged
support for Bogota's battle with leftist insurgents
and right-wing paramilitaries.

The investigative report that served as the basis of
the hearing prepared by the committee's Republican
majority staff and officially released Wednesday,
stated the "IRA has had well-established links with
the FARC narco-terrorists in Colombia since at least
1998."

It also noted that "explosives management training for
the FARC by the IRA, and possibly by other
foreign-based terrorists ... has markedly improved the
FARC's proficiency in urban terrorism in the last few
years."

King, however, was unimpressed.

"It was an investigation with an agenda from the
start," he said.

Delahunt, a Democrat, agreed. "We have been presented
with a report short on facts and replete with surmise
and opinion," he said.

Hearing witness Asa Hutchinson, head of the Drug
Enforcement Administration (DEA) admitted that despite
the report, there was no hard evidence linking the IRA
to terrorist organizations such as the FARC.

"We do not know if they were acting on their own or at
the direction of someone else," Hutchinson told the
panel.

But Colombia armed forces chief General Fernando
Tapias insisted that of the 15 Irish men arrested and
suspected of having IRA links, firm evidence exists in
the cases of seven of them.

Tapias told the hearing that the Irish men trained
FARC in unconventional weapons making, explosives
production, and in fighting as well as intelligence
gathering techniques. He testified that the rebels'
operations became more effective after they had
received the training.

"But I cannot say if their presence was there with the
approval of the (IRA) leadership because I have no
evidence," he admitted.

Later Wednesday, in Bogota, Colombia Attorney General
Luis Camilo Osorio insisted there was proof that three
of the men actually belonged to the IRA.

"These people were in no way just passing through, or
here for a holiday, they were engaged in criminal
activity, and this is the proof we have brought and
presented before the judges so they can be tried,"
Osorio said.

"Terrorism in Colombia is not a local situation but
comes under the sign of having international links,"
he added.

In Washington, US Representative Donald Payne, a
Democrat, had concluded, however, there was "nothing"
in the report that could "point a finger at anything
other than three rogue men who happen to be Irish."

Lawmakers objected that linking the IRA to the FARC --
designated a terrorist organization by the United
States -- could undermine the delicate peace process
in Northern Ireland.

"I'm very disturbed and annoyed," Payne went on,
"because of the tenuousness of the peace process in
the north (of Ireland) and that something like this
can put some lumps in the road."

"To have a public hearing now is wrong," agreed King,
adding that the way the hearing had been presented
sent "a very false signal to the world."

Payne also dismissed European media reports implying
that Gerry Adams, leader of Sinn Fein, the political
wing of the IRA, had snubbed Congress by turning down
a request to appear at the hearing.

"What is there for him to say?" Payne asked.

Adams wrote House International Relations committee
chairman Henry Hyde saying he was concerned his
attendance "may impact on due legal process in
Colombia."

Adams later said of the hearing that it "vindicated
Sinn Fein's position that we have no case to answer in
respect of the allegations levelled against our
party."

James Monaghan, Niall Connolly and Martin McCauley
were detained on August 11, 2001, at Bogota's
international airport.

The three, who are now awaiting trial, have denied
charges of having trained FARC rebels in the use of
explosives, and the IRA has denied that any of them
are IRA members.

http://games.yahoo.com/