http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52323-2002Apr26.html

Kyrgyzstan Is Hub for Anti-Terror

-The base is home to more than 1,900 troops from eight
countries, about half from the United States. The rest
are from France, South Korea, the Netherlands,
Denmark, Australia, Norway and Spain.

By Bagila Bukharbayeva
Associated Press Writer
Friday, April 26, 2002; 4:05 AM

MANAS, Kyrgyzstan –– Officially, the military base
here bears the name of the civilian airport where it
was hastily built: Manas.

But the U.S. and other troops deployed here in
Kyrgyzstan call it Ganci air base – a tribute to Peter
Ganci, the New York City fire chief who died in the
World Trade Center attack, and a reminder of the
purpose of their mission on the steppes of Central
Asia.

The base, constructed on what was a bare field on the
airport's territory, has become a busy logistical hub
supporting the U.S.-led anti-terrorism operations in
Afghanistan. Fighter jets, C-130 cargo planes and
Boeing KC-135 refueling planes fly in and out of
Manas.

U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was on his way
to Kyrgyzstan on Friday, launching a Central Asia tour
intended to show gratitude to the thousands of
American and allied troops in the region and to
consult with government officials.

Uzbekistan and Tajikistan have also provided air bases
for U.S. forces and their allies in the anti-terrorism
effort. Yet Kyrgyzstan was the only nation in the
region to offer unlimited access for aircraft flying
combat as well as humanitarian and search-and-rescue
missions. It has leased Manas to the coalition for a
year.

The base is home to more than 1,900 troops from eight
countries, about half from the United States. The rest
are from France, South Korea, the Netherlands,
Denmark, Australia, Norway and Spain.

About 200 U.S. Marines arrived this month, along with
six U.S. FA-18 Hornet fighter jets. They are the first
U.S. aircraft to be deployed at the base, 19 miles
from the capital, Bishkek. Six French Mirage-2000
fighter jets are also based here, said Capt. Richard
Essary, a spokesman at Manas.

The 37-acre compound is fenced off with a concrete
wall topped by coiled razor wire. Four watchtowers
overlook the compound, and the troops patrol nearby
villages "to protect ourselves from the unknown, not
the people of Kyrgyzstan," Essary said.

Earlier this month, the South Korean contingent opened
a 60-bed military hospital on the base grounds.
Operated by a Korean staff of 89, the $5 million
hospital treats both the troops and local residents.

Ganci base has 300 khaki tents, a large fitness room,
a chapel and a post office. In the recreation room,
soldiers can make a 15-minute call home twice a week,
read and send e-mail, play ping-pong, watch American
TV shows and play video or board games.

"It took a lot of long hours and many weeks with no
days off to set up the base," said Chief Master Sgt.
David Andrews, from McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma,
Wash. "We went from a very low quality of life to a
very good one."

Tech. Sgt. James Mitchell, the assistant cafeteria
manager, said he had expected a "much tougher
assignment." For him and many of the soldiers here,
homesickness is the biggest challenge.

"I try to block my mind and keep myself busy," said
Mitchell, of Charleston, S.C.

Earlier this month, the troops had only their second
freshly cooked meal since they started arriving in
December: roast pork. Usually they get canned lasagna,
spaghetti and meat balls, beef stew, pork and beans,
and hamburgers, supplemented by locally purchased
bread, milk, fruit and vegetables.

The U.S. troops at the base are under Ground Order No.
1, meaning no alcohol, no gambling and no pornography.

"We want to be good guests in this country. We want to
set the best example we can," Essary said.

The U.S. contingent earned some negative points last
month when a servicemen ran over and injured two women
in Bishkek. The accident provoked an angry reaction in
the local media, which was already hostile over
alleged underpayment for the use of the airport and
damage to the roads.

The main concern for ordinary people is whether the
foreign troop presence in their country will help the
economy. A policeman patrolling Manas airport, who
declined to give his name, said locals did not mind
the foreign troop presence "as long as the money they
pay goes to the budget and not into some people's
pockets."

Since December, coalition troops have pumped about $14
million into the local economy in payments for fuel,
services and food, Essary said.

http://games.yahoo.com/