Sunday, Apr. 28, 2002
April 27, 2002
'Freedom in, NATO out': Slovene view of alliance sours

LJUBLJANA (AP) -- It's been a Slovene political mantra
for more than a decade: the ultimate goal is to join
NATO.
 Now, just when membership seems like a sure thing,
Slovenes are no longer certain they want to tie their
future to the alliance.
 "Freedom in, NATO out!" says fresh graffiti in the
capital Ljubljana. Slovene news media have begun
openly questioning the benefits of NATO membership and
anti-NATO activists are regularly being given a say in
public debates and television shows.
 For the first time, support for NATO membership has
dropped below 50 per cent, said a government-financed
survey last month.
 It's all happening just six months before the former
Yugoslav republic may finally be invited to join the
alliance at a November summit on NATO expansion in
Prague. Up to 10 Baltic and East European countries
are expected to join the alliance, which took in
Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic in 1999.
 Slovene Foreign Minister Dimitrij Rupel calls the
sudden shift a "striking paradox."
 "We are one of the top candidates for entry, yet we
seem to have the least public support for this goal,"
he said recently.
 Ever since gaining independence in 1991, Slovenia's
pro-western leadership has worked hard to make the
country of two million people, bordered by Italy,
Hungary and Croatia, a part of the European Union and
NATO.
 For Balkan and southern European countries, the EU
and NATO long have been seen as a ticket to wealth,
success -- and the West.
 Slovenia's first victory came with associate
membership in the EU in 1996; the first blow with NATO
rejection a year later. Since then, Slovenia has
initiated a flurry of measures and diplomatic efforts
in hopes of making sure an invitation to join is a
sure thing in November.
 The last thing the government needed -- or expected
-- was to see public support erode.
 Rupel acknowledged anti-NATO activists have created a
"noise that's heard far away."
 "NATO's member states and its leadership are now
asking us whether we really want to become a member,"
he said.
 Opponents of NATO membership are not well-organized.
There are some students and professors and several
prominent journalists and sociologists. They haven't
staged a single demonstration -- but they're speaking
up and the mainstream media have given them a stage.
 But opponents of membership insist it's too expensive
because the government will have to spend money on
weaponry and military reorganization and they contend
tiny Slovenia will never be heard among the big NATO
players.
 Others wonder: what's the point? Slovenia enjoys
peaceful relations with its neighbours, they argue and
not even NATO could thwart the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks.
 Miso Alkalaj an anti-NATO activist, said the attacks
on the United States, a mighty NATO force, showed
"there was no real defence against terrorism, the No.
1 threat of today's world."
 In many ways, Slovenia already belongs to the West.
 It has a vigorous economy and a stable government.
Support for the EU, which unlike NATO promises
concrete economic benefits, remains high.
 Even so, the government has realized it must fight to
ensure NATO membership doesn't slip from its grasp.
 Rupel has publicly urged President Milan Kucan to
engage opponents. Government officials are preaching
the benefits of membership at every opportunity. The
NATO question dominates TV talk shows and a special
phone line has been set up to give Slovenes more
information about the alliance.
 "We haven't used all our ammunition yet," Rupel said.

http://health.yahoo.com