[This appears to read as follows: Michael Steiner,
current UNMIK chief, wants to privatize
Yugoslav/Serbia state and mixed assets - to be sold
off cheap to foreign investors - while leaving the
Yugoslav and Serbian governments, and their citizens,
saddled with onerous World Bank interest and other
debts.
One-sided privatization.
Recall that one of the first initiatives of UNMIK
immediately after NATO troops took over the Serbian
province of Kosovo in 1999 was, responding to a
'study' commissioned by the National Endowment For
Democracy/George Soros Open Society Institute-funded
International Crisis Group (also based in Brussels),
was for then UNMIK head Bernard Kouchner to send NATO
troops into the Trepca Mining Complex, perhaps the
largest in Europe, to take it over and sell it off to
foreign interests - reputedly to a Soros-controlled
concern.
Humanitarianism doesn't come free evidently.]

Belgrade Rejects UN Privatization Plan for Kosovo
BELGRADE, May 2, 2002 -- (dpa) Belgrade on Tuesday
rejected the privatization plan proposed by the United
Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK), saying assets of
Kosovo companies must be privatized together with
their debts.
Chief of the state committee in charge of the
province, Nebojsa Covic, said the plan was rejected at
a meeting of Serbian finance and privatization
ministers, chiefs of the Serbian Privatization Agency
and federal and Serbian property directorates.
"We gave our objections and finance and privatization
ministers are now in charge of reaching an agreement
with UNMIK on the concept," said Covic, a Serbian
deputy premier.
Kosovo, Serbia's southern province, has been under a
virtual UN protectorate since NATO intervened against
Yugoslavia to stop ethnic violence there and forced
Belgrade to pull out its forces and administration in
June 1999.
But the province remained a part of Yugoslavia and is
nominally under its sovereignty.
"An approach in conjunction with our (Serbian)
privatization will be made in the next 30 days," Covic
said, adding that Belge "does not oppose
privatization", but that revenue from the sale of
Kosovo companies must go in package with their debts.
Belgrade officials have balked at the Kosovo
privatization plan, saying it refuses to acknowledge
debts of companies in the province which it wants to
sell.
According to Covic, Yugoslavia owes 1.9 billion
dollars only to the World Bank, 450 million of it "in
the name of Kosovo".
"Accounts must be settled first," Covic told a press
conference.
Serbian Privatization Minister Aleksandar Vlahovic
said "the demand is to privatize the assets with
debts", instead of delegating debts to Serbian banks.
"We will not back off from this demand," he said,
adding that the Serbian government would, in an
earlier agreement with UNMIK, send its objections to
the proposed privatization model by May 10.
Chief of UNMIK, Michael Steiner, passed the draft law
on to Kosovo's Prime Minister Bajram Rexhepi on April
17. It envisages the sale of more than 400 firms in
the muddled "social ownership".
This was invented by the late president Josip Broz
Tito's regime. It gives no clear titular claim to
assets and has at some point hampered transition and
foreign investments in the entire former Yugoslavia.
(C)2002. dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur

http://health.yahoo.com