as the assumption that the US is hopelessly biased toward Israel.

Peacefully yours,
Nancy Hey

For Friday, June 21, 2002

>http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20020621/index.php
>---------------------------------------------------------------------->

>Charley Reese
>Bush: Sharon's Dummy
>President George Bush continues to act as if he were a ventriloquist's
>dummy sitting on the lap of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. Sharon

>says he doesn't like Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. Bush says, I
don't
>like Arafat. Sharon says he won't talk peace. Bush says, It's not time
>talk peace. And so on and so forth.
>
>Most Americans don't give a hoot about the Middle East one way or the
>other, just as they don't give a hoot about Asia, Africa or Latin
America.

>Americans should understand, however, that as long as the U.S.
government
>assists the Israelis in brutalizing the Palestinians, denying them the
>protection of international law and denying them their basic human
rights,
>then the supply of terrorist recruits will be infinite.
>
>Why American presidents are so willing to risk American lives, to
>jeopardize America's national interests, to give away American
taxpayers'
>money by the billions in order to cater to the Israelis and their
powerful
>American lobby will no doubt fascinate future historians. In the
meantime,
>Bush is proving to be totally incompetent in the conduct of American
>foreign policy.
>
>His ignorance of the world at large is astounding. Apparently, he was
not
>kidding when he joked about never reading any books. He probably
demands
>that his staff give him one-paragraph summaries of complex issues with
>multiple-choice options. His entire policy, if you can call it that,
about
>the Middle East seems to be dictated by the Israelis and their American

>agents.
>
>The entire Arab world at last is willing to make peace with Israel, and

>Sharon and Bush are flatly turning their backs on the opportunity.
Sharon
>is doing so because he has no intention of ever making peace with the
>Palestinians and says so frequently. Bush is doing it because he does
>whatever Sharon tells him to do. In doing that, Bush is sending a clear

>signal to the Arab world that he looks upon it with the same racist,
>colonialist attitude of Sharon. Arab suggestions and advice count for
>nothing. Bush seems to think he can always bully and/or bribe the Arab
>countries into going along with whatever Sharon decides to do.
>
>That is an extremely dangerous assumption.
>
>Among the many subjects Bush never bothered to study is general
semantics,
>and its most important lesson is that today is not yesterday. The
Middle
>East in 2002 is not the Middle East in 1948. The United States in 2002
is
>not the United States in 1991. The age of the Western stooge is coming
>an end in the Arab world. A new generation of Arab leaders is in the
wings.
>Mr. Bush is, vis-á-vis the Middle East, like the old segregationists in
the
>1960s who refused to recognize that American blacks had finally said,
>"Enough is enough."
>
>America's (and Israel's) military superiority rests entirely on its
high-technology Air Force. It is only a matter of time before the
Chinese or
the Russians make an air-defense breakthrough that will erase that
superiority. And once we have to go man to man, tank to tank, without
domination of the sky and ground by air power, Americans will learn that
we
are not the superpower our politicians claim we are. The day will come
when
we will not be able to bomb defenseless people with impunity, and on
that
day, Americans will wish they had relied more on diplomacy than on
force.

>George Washington's farewell address is the greatest statement that was

>ever made about what America's foreign and domestic policy should be.
He