http://www.menewsline.com/stories/2002/june/06_27_1.html

Middle East Newsline
June 27, 2002

NATO: LIBYA, SYRIA CONSTITUTE WMD THREAT

LONDON [MENL] -- NATO has agreed to launch a campaign
to protect against a weapons of mass destruction
attack by groups deemed as terrorists as well as their
state sponsors, including Iran, Iraq, Libya and Syria.

NATO defense ministers meeting in Brussels agreed on a
strategy that defined several Middle East countries as
WMD threats. These include Iran, Iraq, Libya and
Syria. Other states listed by the ministers were Cuba
and North Korea.

"We need to assess what the threats are for the safety
and security of the people who live in the countries
that are members of the alliance and act appropriately
in the circumstances," NATO secretary-general George
Robertson said.

Currently, NATO has limited defenses against WMD and
virtually none against nuclear or biological weapons.
The ministers were warned that alliance members face
an imminent attack by Al Qaida and its allies meant to
overshadow that of the Sept. 11 strikes on New York
and Washington.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com