In a message dated 6/28/2002 9:09:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

`America' and `the world' not the same thing

``She found herself walking through an Israeli town wearing ... a backpack that was too heavy, laden as it was with nails and a bomb,'' goes a story that appeared recently in The New York Times. ``But (she) was now starting to wonder, as she walked along the pedestrian mall, if she was doing the right thing, or hell rather than Heaven awaited her.''

The story is about a 20-year-old Palestinian suicide bomber who aborted her mission at the last moment.

``I look at the sky,'' she recalled. ``I look at the people.'' She said she remembered a childhood belief ``that nobody has the right to stop anybody's life.''

Mideast security experts concur that not all would-be suicide bombers today are trained terrorists.

On the contrary, ``ordinary'' women and boys have been volunteering in growing numbers-a fact that underscores how desperate the situation has become.

I have always wondered whether these people ever have second thoughts about their missions. Personally, I think they do, even if only for a split second. And I believe such a flicker of hesitation is invaluable.

U.S. President George W. Bush has proposed a Mideast peace formula that aims to create a Palestinian state. Bush, however, is effectively telling the Palestinians they must first institute an American-style ``democracy.''

This means that Arafat can be appointed as president. :)