Thatcher statue decapitated
===================
Michael White, political editor
Thursday July 4, 2002
The Guardian

Lady Thatcher's larger-than-life status as Britain's most loved and hated
prime minister since Sir Winston Churchill was confirmed yesterday when a
man decapitated the marble statue of the former Conservative leader on
display at the Guildhall Art Gallery in the City of London.

The head on the two-ton statue, which is an imposing eight feet high, was
knocked off after the assailant deployed a metal rope support stanchion,
according to the Corporation of London. A man was arrested. The damaged
work, sculpted by Neil Simmons and unveiled by Lady Thatcher in May, was
removed from display.

It was due to be installed in the Commons after the next election. The
chairman of the Commons advisory art committee, leftwing MP, Tony Banks,
said that although the statue ranked "among our most controversial
commissions, acts of vandalism against works of art can never be tolerated
in a civilised society". Lady Thatcher said nothing.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2002