What War Does to Man (fr 'The Classical Mind' W.T. Jones)

(...)

The "New Man"

      All this was now being lost in the partisan dissensions the Peloponnesian War had engendered. The old ideal, which conservatives like Aristophanes still admired, of a life of simple piety, of respect for law and religion and custom, and of patriotic devotion to one's city as the completion and fulfillment of one's own life, had largely lost its force. The new type of man developing under the pressures of war was a cynic who believed that might makes right, who rejected all the old loyalties and the old virtues unless they were expedient, that is, unless they helped him accomplish his private ends. He was, in fact, the type of the Athenian representative whose negotiations with the Melians Thucydides described.
      Melos was one of the few Aegean islands the Athenians had not managed to bring into their empire. Up to 416 B.C., Melos had successfully remained neutral, but in that year the Athenians, according to Thucydides' account, sent an expedition to "persuade" the Melians to join them.

      ATHENIANS: ...We Athenians will use no fine words...We should not convince you if we did; nor must you expect to convince us by arguing that...you have never done us any wrong....For we both alike know that into the discussion of human affairs the question of justice only enters where the pressure of necessity is equal, and that the powerful exact what they can, and the weak grant what they must.
      MELIANS: Well, then, since you set aside justice and invite us to speak of expediency, in our judgement it is certainly expedient that you should respect a principle that is for the common good... Your interest in this principle is quite as great as ours, inasmuch as you if you fall, will incur the heaviest vengeance, and will be the most terrible example to mankind.
      ATHENIANS: The fall of our empire, if it should fall, is...a danger which you may leave to us.... We want to make you ours with the least trouble to ourselves, and it is for the interests of both of us that you should not be destroyed.
      MELIANS: It may be your interest to be our masters, but how can it be ours to be your slaves?
      ATHENIANS: To you the gain will be that by submission you will avert the worst; and we shall all be the richer for your preservation.
      MELIANS: But must we be your enemies? Will you not receive us as friends if we are neutral and remain at peace with you?
      ATHENIANS: No, your enmity is not half so mischievous to us as your friendship; for the one is in the eyes of our subjects an argument of our power, the other of our weakness... They think that states like yours are left free because they are able to defend themselves, and that we do not attack them because we dare not. So that your subjection will give us an increase of security, as well as an extension of empire....
      MELIANS: ... How base and cowardly would it be in us, who retain our freedom, not to do and suffer anything rather than be your slaves.
      ATHENIANS: ... The question is not one of honour but of prudence.
      MELIANS: But we know that the fortune of war is sometimes impartial, and not always on the side of numbers. If we yield now, all is over; but if we fight, there is yet a hope that  we may stand upright... We know only too well how hard the struggle must be against your power.... Nevertheless we do not despair of fortune; for we hope to stand as high as you in the favour of heaven, because we are righteous, and you against whom we contend are unrighteous...
      ATHENIANS: As for the gods, we expect to have quite as much of their favour as you: for we are not doing or claiming anything which goes beyond common opinion about divine or men's desires about human things. Of the gods we believe, and of men we know, that by a law of their nature wherever they can rule they will... You and all mankind, if you were as strong as we are, would do as we do... You are showing a great want of sense... Reflect once more...

      The Athenian envoys returned to the army; and the generals, when they found that the Melians would not yield, immediately commenced hostilities.
(They were unable to make progress until) there was treachery among the citizens themselves. So the Melians were induced to surrender at discretion. The Athenians thereupon put to death all who were of military age, and made slaves of the women and children. They then colonized the island, sending thither 500 settlers of their own.