http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=10605

Stars And Stripes
Sunday, September 22, 2002
24th MEU in Kosovo for NATO exercise

By Kevin Dougherty, Stars and Stripes

-The MEU’s five-week deployment to the theater is
partially in support of an exercise dubbed Dynamic
Response 2002, being held in Kosovo and in Bosnia. The
annual NATO-led exercise, or “operational rehearsal,”
focuses on integrating a strategic reserve force with
existing theater forces. About 2,000 Marines are
expected to participate.
-As they milled about, Martin stood off to the side,
chatting about the Stinger missile launcher, his crew,
Army hospitality and of the urge to move on to South
Central Asia.
-“We’ve been waiting” to get into the ring, Martin
said. “I would like to get out and do some real-life
stuff.”
-He said the mountains of southern Kosovo are
beautiful to fly through and provide valuable training
opportunities for what may lie ahead.

CAMP BONDSTEEL, Kosovo — The U.S. Marines took several
dozen journalists from Kosovo and Macedonia through
basic training Friday.

In this part of the world, heads often turn when the
leathernecks surface. The U.S. military mission in
Kosovo may be an Army gig, but the locals take note
when the Marine Corps shows up in force.

And so it was up to Capt. Daniel McSweeney to outline
the basics of what the corps and, in particular, the
24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, is all about.

“We are a rapid deployment force, capable of operating
from over the horizon,” McSweeney. “In other words,
from a distance.”

The MEU’s five-week deployment to the theater is
partially in support of an exercise dubbed Dynamic
Response 2002, being held in Kosovo in Bosnia. The
annual NATO-led exercise, or “operational rehearsal,”
focuses on integrating a strategic reserve force with
existing theater forces. About 2,000 Marines are
expected to participate.

Dynamic Response “is a regularly scheduled exercise,”
McSweeney said as he stood in front of a projection
screen. “Nothing in the outside world has triggered
this.”

After a short briefing by Lt. Col. Jay Kennedy,
commander of the Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263
(Reinforced), the gaggle soon departed a small tent
for the big show: a flight line filled with
helicopters.

Along the way, they lingered for a closer look at
gadgets, including a surface-to-air missile launcher
nicknamed the Avenger.

Marine Sgt. Arvil Martin, the launcher’s team leader,
watched as most passed without pause. As they milled
about, Martin stood off to the side, chatting about
the Stinger missile launcher, his crew, Army
hospitality and of the urge to move on to South
Central Asia.

The Marine unit is heading in that direction sometime
in mid-October.

“We’ve been waiting” to get into the ring, Martin
said. “I would like to get out and do some real-life
stuff.”

Before they do, hundreds will head to a mountainous
region south of Prizren, headquarters of Multinational
Brigade-South, commanded by the Germans. The terrain
around their temporary base camp is roughly similar to
parts of Afghanistan, in terms of altitude.

Kennedy, the helicopter squadron commander, said the
location “is an added side benefit” for him and his
men.

“In high altitudes, there are things you have to do
differently,” Kennedy said. Helicopters “handle
differently. You just have to be prepared for it,” he
said.

Maj. Bill Duffy, a CH-53E Super Stallion pilot, had
just landed his helicopter on the flight line. He said
the mountains of southern Kosovo are beautiful to fly
through and provide valuable training opportunities
for what may lie ahead.

Capt. Ryan Shadle, a CH-46 Sea Knight pilot, shared
his sentiments.

“It’ll be interesting,” Shadle said of the pending
deployment to South Central Asia. “I’m not quite sure
what will happen once we get back to the boat.”

For now, the focus is Kosovo and Dynamic Response.

As a couple of helicopters took to the air,
journalists scrambled for photos. Most seemed pleased,
though a few were hoping for more.

“I thought there would be more action, more weapons,”
said Oliver Brankovic, a veteran journalist with
Macedonian National Television. “This is NATO, the
biggest force. I wanted to see a demonstration, but we
only saw weapons.”

http://finance.yahoo.com