Colombia: The Genocidal Democracy
by
Javier Giraldo S.J.

This book, published by Common Courage Press in 1996, is no longer in print. However, in view of continuing violence in Colombia and recent proposals by the US Government to increase military aid, we are making it freely available online.

This proposed military aid--cash, weapons, training, and US troops--continues a history of US support for a system that, according to Father Giraldo's Inter-congregational Commission of Peace and Justice, produced over 67,000 victims of political violence between 1988 and 1995. Under the guise of drug interdiction, this action will no doubt fuel the existing violence and do little to stop the production of narcotics. The history exposed in this book will make clear the folly of this approach to narcotics production in Colombia and make you wonder to what end US involvement is really intended. Please read this information, use it, and spread it around.