> Ashcroft’s Baghdad Connection
>
> Why the attorney general and others in Washington have backed a terror group
> with ties to Iraq
>

> By Michael Isikoff
> NEWSWEEK WEB EXCLUSIVE
>

> Sept. 26 —  When the White House released its Sept. 12 “white paper”
> detailing Saddam Hussein’s “support for international terrorism,” it caused
> more than a little discomfort in some quarters of Washington.
>

> THE 27-PAGE DOCUMENT—entitled “A Decade of Deception and Defiance”—made no
> mention of any Iraqi ties to Osama bin Laden. But it did highlight Saddam’s
> backing of the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO), an obscure Iranian
> dissident group that has gathered surprising support among members of
> Congress in past years. One of those supporters, the documents show, is a
> top commander in President Bush’s war on terrorism: Attorney General John
> Ashcroft, who became involved with the MKO while a Republican senator from
> Missouri.
>         The case of Ashcroft and the MKO shows just how murky fighting
> terrorism can sometimes get. State Department officials first designated the
> MKO a “foreign terrorist organization” in 1997, accusing the Baghdad-based
> group of a long series of bombings, guerilla cross-border raids and targeted
> assassinations of Iranian leaders. Officials say the MKO—which originally
> fought to overthrow the Shah of Iran—was linked to the murder of several
> U.S. military officers and civilians in Iran in the 1970s. “They have an
> extremely bloody history,” says one U.S. counterterrorism official.
>
>         But the MKO, which commands an army of 30,000 from bases inside
> Iraq, has tried to soften its image in recent years—in part with strong
> backing from politically active Iranian-Americans in the United States. The
> MKO operates in Washington out of a small office in the National Press
> Building under the name the National Council of Resistance of Iran.
> According to the State Department, the National Council of Resistance is a
> “front” for the MKO; in 1999, the National Council itself was placed on the
> State Department terrorist list. But National Council officials adamantly
> deny their group has earned the terror label and have aggressively portrayed
> itself to Washington lawmakers as a “democratic” alternative to a repressive
> Iranian regime that itself is one of the world’s leading sponsors of
> terrorism. “You’re talking about a really popular movement,” says Alireza
> Jafarzadeh, the National Council’s chief Washington spokesman, who insists
> that the MKO “targets only military targets.”
>         Only two years ago, these arguments won sympathy from Ashcroft—and
> more than 200 other members of Congress. When the National Council of
> Resistance staged a September 2000 rally outside the United Nations to
> protest a speech by Iranian President Mohammed Khatami, Missouri’s two
> Republican senators—Ashcroft and Chris Bond—issued a joint statement of
> [...]

Ashcroft=92s=20 Baghdad Connection =

Why the attorney general and = others in=20 Washington have backed a terror group with ties to=20 Iraq

By = Michael=20 Isikoff
NEWSWEEK WEB=20 EXCLUSIVE

Sept. 26 =97 =  When the White = House released=20 its Sept. 12 =93white paper=94 detailing Saddam Hussein=92s =93support = for international=20 terrorism,=94 it caused more than a little discomfort in some quarters = of=20 Washington.

THE 27-PAGE DOCUMENT=97entitled =93A Decade of = Deception and=20 Defiance=94=97made no mention of any Iraqi ties to Osama bin Laden. But = it did=20 highlight Saddam=92s backing of the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization = (MKO), an=20 obscure Iranian dissident group that has gathered surprising support = among=20 members of Congress in past years. One of those supporters, the = documents show,=20 is a top commander in President Bush=92s war on terrorism: Attorney = General John=20 Ashcroft, who became involved with the MKO while a Republican senator = from=20 Missouri.
        The case of Ashcroft and the = MKO shows=20 just how murky fighting terrorism can sometimes get. State Department = officials=20 first designated the MKO a =93foreign terrorist organization=94 in 1997, = accusing=20 the Baghdad-based group of a long series of bombings, guerilla = cross-border=20 raids and targeted assassinations of Iranian leaders. Officials say the=20 MKO=97which originally fought to overthrow the Shah of Iran=97was linked = to the=20 murder of several U.S. military officers and civilians in Iran in the = 1970s.=20 =93They have an extremely bloody history,=94 says one U.S. = counterterrorism=20 official.

        But the MKO, which commands an army = of 30,000=20 from bases inside Iraq, has tried to soften its image in recent = years=97in part=20 with strong backing from politically active Iranian-Americans in the = United=20 States. The MKO operates in Washington out of a small office in the = National=20 Press Building under the name the National Council of Resistance of = Iran.=20 According to the State Department, the National Council of Resistance is = a=20 =93front=94 for the MKO; in 1999, the National Council itself was placed = on the=20 State Department terrorist list. But National Council officials = adamantly deny=20 their group has earned the terror label and have aggressively portrayed = itself=20 to Washington lawmakers as a =93democratic=94 alternative to a = repressive Iranian=20 regime that itself is one of the world=92s leading sponsors of = terrorism. =93You=92re=20 talking about a really popular movement,=94 says Alireza Jafarzadeh, the = National=20 Council=92s chief Washington spokesman, who insists that the MKO = =93targets only=20 military targets.=94
        Only two years ago, = these=20 arguments won sympathy from Ashcroft=97and more than 200 other members = of=20 Congress. When the National Council of Resistance staged a September = 2000 rally=20 outside the United Nations to protest a speech by Iranian President = Mohammed=20 Khatami, Missouri=92s two Republican senators=97Ashcroft and Chris = Bond=97issued a=20 joint statement of solidarity that was read aloud to a cheering crowd. A = delegation of about 500 Iranians from Missouri attended the event=97and = a picture=20 of a smiling Ashcroft was later included in a color briefing book used = by MKO=20 officials to promote their cause on Capitol Hill. Ashcroft was hardly = alone.=20 Among those who actually appeared at the rally and spoke on the = group=92s behalf=20 was one of its leading congressional supporters: Democratic New Jersey = Sen. Bob=20 Torricelli.
        That same year, Senator = Ashcroft=20 wrote a letter to Attorney General Janet Reno protesting the detention = of an=20 Iranian woman, Mahnaz Samadi, who was a leading spokeswoman for the = National=20 Council of Resistance. The case quickly became a cause celebre for the = MKO and=20 its supporters in the United States.
        = U.S.=20 Immigration and Naturalization Service agents had arrested Samadi at the = Canadian border, charging her with failing to disclose her past = =93terrorist=94 ties=20 as an MKO =93military commander=94=97including spending seven months in = a MKO=20 military-training camp inside Iraq=97when she sought political asylum in = the=20 United States several years earlier, according to court documents = obtained by=20 NEWSWEEK.
        Senator Ashcroft saw the case=20 differently. In his May 10, 2000, letter to Reno, the Missouri lawmaker=20 expressed =93concern=94 about the detention, calling Samadi a =93highly = regarded=20 human-rights activist=94 and a =93powerful voice for democracy.=94 (As = part of a later=20 settlement with the INS, Samadi admitted her membership in MKO but = denied that=20 she personally participated in any =93terrorist activity.=94 While her = grant of=20 political asylum was revoked, the INS dropped its deportation = proceedings and=20 she was permitted to remain in the United States.)
    =  =20   Alireza Jafarzadeh, the National Council=92s top Washington = lobbyist, said=20 he had =93several=94 meetings with Ashcroft aides about the matter and = that he=20 =93certainly=94 viewed the Missouri senator as a supporter of his group. = But backers=20 of the MKO acknowledge the real lobbying was done by Iranian-Americans = in=20 Missouri who wrote letters and made repeated phone calls on Samadi=92s = behalf. How=20 much Ashcroft got personally involved isn=92t clear. A Justice = Department=20 spokeswoman told NEWSWEEK that Ashcroft=92s letter to Reno was the = result of a=20 =93straightforward, constituent-type inquiry,=94 adding that the current = attorney=20 general would never =93knowingly=94 back any terrorist group. When he = signed the=20 joint statement with Bond that was read at the National Council rally at = the=20 United Nations, Ashcroft did not =93intend to endorse any = organization,=94 the=20 spokeswoman, Barbara Comstock, said. =93He was supporting democracy and = freedom in=20 Iran,=94 she said. Comstock said Ashcroft currently has =93no problem=94 = prosecuting=20 all U.S.-based terror groups, including the MKO.
    =    =20 Ashcroft isn=92t the only one now distancing himself from the MKO. The = Senate=92s=20 most aggressive promotor of the MKO for years has been Bob Torricelli, = who in=20 recent years has circulated numerous letters among his = colleagues=97including one=20 as recently as last year=97describing the MKO as a =93legitimate=94 = alternative to the=20 repressive Iranian mullahs and urging that the group be taken off the = State=20 Department terrorist list. Torricelli told NEWSWEEK he saw his support = for the=20 group as a way of putting pressure on the Iranian regime. =93They [the = MKO] were=20 the only game in town,=94 he said. But Torricelli also said last week = said he=20 would no longer push the group=92s cause after getting hammered over the = issue by=20 his GOP opponent, Doug Forrester, who accused Torricelli of receiving = more than=20 $100,000 in campaign contributions from Iranian-Americans who supported = the=20 group. (Torricelli aides say the amount is exaggerated and that others,=20 including some leading Republicans, have also received contributions = from some=20 of the same Iranian-Americans.) As a result of the September 11 attacks = and new=20 concerns about any allegations of terrorism, Bond also has put his = backing for=20 the group =93in abeyance,=94 an aide said.

      Much of the new skittishness among MKO=92s = congressional backers also stems from the decision by the Bush White = House to=20 emphasize the connections between MKO and Saddam. It isn=92t the first = time this=20 was done. Former Clinton administration official Martin Indyk, who = served as=20 assistant secretary of State for Near Eastern affairs in 1997, told = NEWSWEEK=20 that one of the reasons the group was put on the terrorism list in the = first=20 place was part of a =93two-pronged=94 strategy that included ratcheting = up pressure=20 on Saddam. Like the Bush White House, the Clinton administration was = eager to=20 highlight Iraqi ties to terrorism and had collected extensive evidence = of Saddam=20 providing logistical support to the MKO in the aftermath of the = Iran-Iraq War.=20 (The MKO=92s headquarters are located on a heavily guarded street in = central=20 Baghdad.) But the United States could find no other hard evidence = linking Saddam=20 to terror groups, Indyk said. =93That was about all we had on [Saddam] = when it=20 came to terrorism,=94 Indyk told NEWSWEEK.
      =  =20 National-security adviser Condoleezza Rice said in an interview = Wednesday on=20 PBS=92s =93The NewsHour=94 that the United States had new evidence from = =93high-ranking=20 detainees=94 that Iraq has provided =93some training to Al Qaeda in = chemical-weapons=20 development.=94 But a top U.S. law-enforcement official recently cast = some doubt=20 about the strength of the evidence connecting Saddam and Al Qaeda, = telling=20 NEWSWEEK there is far more substantial evidence that Iran was harboring = top Al=20 Qaeda leaders.)
        The other =93prong=94 in = the Clinton=20 strategy that led to the inclusion of the MKO on the terrorist list was = White=20 House interest in opening up a dialogue with the Iranian government. At = the=20 time, President Khatami had recently been elected and was seen as a = moderate.=20 Top administration officials saw cracking down on the MKO=97which the = Iranians had=20 made clear they saw as a menace=97as one way to do so. Still, Indyk said = the basic=20 decision to label the MKO as terrorists could be justified anyway. = =93Yes, they=92re=20 bad guys,=94 he told NEWSWEEK. =93But no=97they=92re not targeting = us.=94

      Indyk=92s comments lend = partial=20 support to one of the main contentions of MKO and its congressional = supporters:=20 that geopolitical strategy=97a tilt toward Iran=97was an important = factor in the=20 State Department decision to accuse MKO of terrorism. =93They wanted to = appease=20 the Iranian regime,=94 said Jafarzadeh, the National Council of = Resistance=20 lobbyist.
        Still, the Justice Department = appears=20 only to be stepping up investigations into MKO members. Early last year, = the FBI=20 broke up a ring of Iranians who were raising money at the Los Angeles = airport=20 under the guise of helping suffering children when, according to a court = complaint, they were routing the funds to the MKO. (A federal judge = recently=20 tossed the case out of court, but the Justice Department is appealing.) = Then,=20 last December, FBI agents showed up at the home of Jafarzadeh. Armed = with a=20 search warrant, the agents hauled away boxes of documents, including = files on=20 the group=92s dealings with members of Congress. One in particular must = have=20 gotten the agents=92 attention. It was labeled ASHCROFT.
  =    =20
       =A9 2002 Newsweek,=20 Inc.